Seniors Thesis in Undergrad

mediadude88

Quick question here but in anyone's experience has this helped anyone to any degree in their graduate school admissions process? I'm strongly considering applying to a PhD program in media studies/communication and I'm writing an honors thesis this year.

I'm kind of unsure about this whole process- I'd be applying straight from undergrad and I haven't published anything. Would my thesis do anything to mitigate the aforementioned? concerns? Or are these things I shouldn't even be concerned about?

PS I'm also not sure if I was supposed to post something like this in this specific area of the forum.

Few people publish anything of merit before Ph.d. programs in the humanities.

Do it. It will help the sop and your writing sample aspects of your application.

This. Absolutely. It will also push you to improve your writing and research skills, and get you some specialized attention from a professor. It will absolutely help you grow as a scholar, which is the important thing in the end.

Yes. It will also give you clarity. How can you know what fields you want to research until you've truly undergone a longterm and very taxing research project?

I applied to grad school while writing my senior thesis and found it absolutely helpful. I'll also admit that it was tough juggling them both at once.

I did an honors thesis as well, but it didn't even factor into my applications (as I had nothing ready from it until well after application deadlines). It is still definitely worth doing. An MA thesis seems far less daunting having already done a project of somewhat comparable scale. It's great experience.

Merely writing a thesis won't really do anything for you. (Almost everyone does it at some point). Getting it published, however, helps tons. Some schools allow you to send demonstrations of your work, as well; if you don't get it published you can always bring your thesis to their attention this way.

Adcoms will want to see that you can undertake independent research projects. The honors thesis will show that.

Also, you will work closely with one professor, who will then be able to write you a really solid LoR and mentor you thoughout the process.

Even though it won't be complete until after you apply, the fact that you are doing it will look very good to a Communications grad ad com.