Columbia Skype Interview

CupofJoe23

Hi all,

I just got an email from Columbia inviting me to have an interview. I am super nervous since I have no idea what they will be asking me. Has anyone interviewed with them before? advice? Thanks!!!

My area is a little different (engineering master's) so take this with a pinch of salt. I was given a Skype interview a few months back and I was in your shoes but there is really nothing to be too nervous about. I was expecting technical/difficult questions but instead the questions were pretty easy just asking logistics-related things like how I plan to afford the program and why I specifically chose this school. Ultimately, I was accepted but I don't think the interview played a major role so you should be fine once you don't absolutely bomb it lol. Keeping a cool head and spending ample time on preparation is key and you'll have nothing to worry about!

Now go crush that interview! Best of luck!

My area is a little different (engineering master's) so take this with a pinch of salt. I was given a Skype interview a few months back and I was in your shoes but there is really nothing to be too nervous about. I was expecting technical/difficult questions but instead the questions were pretty easy just asking logistics-related things like how I plan to afford the program and why I specifically chose this school. Ultimately, I was accepted but I don't think the interview played a major role so you should be fine once you don't absolutely bomb it lol. Keeping a cool head and spending ample time on preparation is key and you'll have nothing to worry about!

Now go crush that interview! Best of luck!

Thank you so so much! I am definitely going to begin preparing answers to some of these questions and hopefully all goes well! Thanks for the pep talk! 

I just got an email for an I interview too! I was wondering the same things as you. I've heard that they just want to get a sense of what you're like. They want to see if the impression they got from your application matches what they're looking for; things like maturity, being articulate, interpersonal skills, etc. I'm scheduled for Thursday. Good luck!!

I can't gauge how mine went. The interviewers seemed pretty indifferent but maybe it was because they'd just been doing several interviews back to back. It's prohibiting after a while. I felt ok about my answers, but I asked a question I thought was dumb. All we can do now is wait......I applied to Fordham too and got an email this week that my application was just being sent for review. I was so annoyed because I had my application in over a month and thought I'd be getting a decision soon, not just beginning the process.

Sakanie: Yeah, I felt the same way. The video would not work for our interview so it ended up being this awkward Skype phone call. I felt like my answers were OK as well. I thought the question I asked was OK...not too bad. But the last question really got me (why online?) I live not so far away from campus but felt online was easier to be able to balance school, internship and part-time work. but I felt like they wanted more of an answer and asked again why I didn't consider living on campus. I don't know. I am trying to be hopeful. I am in the same situation as you with regards to Fordham. I submitted my app late march and just got an email a week or 2 ago saying they'd have a decision within 4-6 weeks.  :( ugh...I just want to know already.