How do grantees receive NSF DDRI / DDIG money

AlwaysWaiting

I've been recommended for an NSF DDRI but I am having trouble finding the procedure for actually receiving the funds when the time comes, after they've officially approved the grant.  I have been looking through the NSF grants manual but it's not so clear - would love to hear from real people in plain language what their experience was.  NSF documents routinely refer to expense "reimbursements" ... if it is a reimbursement, does that mean every expenditure has to be logged and processed individually? That can't be right, since these grants are so small anyway! I know it will ultimately go through my university, but I cannot find guidelines from my university either. Anyone with experience, please share how you received funds in the end and what the reporting process is like. Thank you!!

Anyone with experience, please share how you received funds in the end and what the reporting process is like. Thank you!!

For me, the expenses were first paid by me and then had to be claimed as a reimbursement, handled by my department's admin person. The fact that the amounts were small didn't matter at all. Most expenses were for paying experimental subjects so I didn't need to claim each payment individually but instead I did them in several "batches" -- usually one per completed experiment. It was the same as with any other grant and reimbursement claim processed in my department.

There is no universal process. Each school is awarded the grant as they would be a full panel NSF grant to a PI. That's part of the reason your adviser is the PI on your grant - grad students are not allowed to be PIs on full NSF grants. The procedure for your school, unless they have something specifically set up for DDRI/DDIGs, is the same as someone with a 500k grant.