International Scholarship for US

abohammed

Hi,

what are scholarships for international student to apply for US university?

is it for any university? or specific ones?

is Fulbright for international students in US? because I see some Americans apply for it to study aborad!

Thanks,

Fulbright is an American organization that has a goal of knowledge and culturual exchange. They have many different scholarships, both for international students to study in the US and for Americans to study abroad!

The main source of fellowships for international students are organizations like Fulbright, and your home government.

Also worth noting, to the best of my knowledge PhD programs in engineering usually fund all the students that they accept. You don't have to have external funding such as a Fulbright scholarship, though obviously it's great to win these scholarships. The situation is different for MS programs, where there are usually fewer funding options. 

Indeed, if you are worrying about fellowships in order to pay for your way through school, you probably don't have to worry. North American PhD programs in engineering will fully fund their students, international or domestic.

However, if you are asking because you want to know what fellowships you would be eligible for, either to improve your funding package, get extra prestige, get additional research funds etc. then your best bet is Fulbright and your home government. There are two main Fulbright awards that I know of, and you would apply to these programs through your home country's Fulbright office. The first one is the "Traditional Student Award" and it is $15,000 for the first year only. The deadline may depend on your country but it is generally Fall 2015 for a Fall 2016 program start.

The second major award is a the Fulbright Science & Technology Award, which is a 3 year award. Actually, when searching for information, it seems like the last cohort awarded was 2012 and this program is currently suspended. Sorry :( But the deadline for this one was really really early--it was Spring 2011 for a Fall 2012 start.

Note: If you do get a Fulbright award, you would be in the US on J-1 status and you will be subject to the 2 year home residency requirement. 

Finally, it is also possible to get other fellowships depending on your field. In my field, there is a single NASA fellowship that is available for international students! So, once you start, you should keep an eye out for such opportunities.