Which MPP/MPA/MAIR programs should I be looking at?

adhoc

Hi all,

I am looking into applying for an MPP/MPA/MAIR either for fall 2016 or 2017 but am unsure which programs I would even stand a chance at or have overlooked. 

Background:

GPA: 3.325/4.0 For what it's worth I was getting 3.6's my final 2 semesters of undergrad and made dean's list.

Major: Double major in Political Science and Economics. 

School: UConn graduated in 2014. Been working for 1 year.

Work Experience/Internships: Interned for a state rep for 1 semester, Interned for the state democratic party which later hired me on as a finance assistant out of college where I managed several interns. Currently, I am working in Purchasing/Supply Chain at a major defense contractor. 

Languages: Only the bits and pieces of Spanish I can remember from high school.

Quant background: Intermediate Micro/Macro, Calc 1, Stats 1, Econometrics, Quantitative Analysis in Poly Sci, Methods in Survey Reseach

Research: I worked with 2 of my economics professors studying the economics of religion.

GRE: Haven't taken it yet. I have heard however that many foreign schools (outside US) do not require it though I will likely still take it.

LORs: Here is where I worry, it seems most programs want academic letters and I am not sure I can obtain any strong ones. I went to a very large school and did not develop much of a rapport with my professors. I have been out a year and am unsure if any would even remember me well enough to write a strong LOR but I suppose I could reach out. The state rep. I interned with would definitely write one as well as several of my former employers.

So I am living in New England now but do not really care where I end up so the location of a program is no issue. My main interests are in Foreign policy, international relations, development, economics. So if anyone could recommend a decent program for these areas I would be thankful. My ultimate career goal would be to work for the State Dept. as a FSO. 

As I have looked through this forum and browsed some program sites I feel as if I am woefully under qualified. Any advice on how to become more competitive would be welcome. 

Hi all,

I am looking into applying for an MPP/MPA/MAIR either for fall 2016 or 2017 but am unsure which programs I would even stand a chance at or have overlooked. 

Background:

GPA: 3.325/4.0 For what it's worth I was getting 3.6's my final 2 semesters of undergrad and made dean's list.

Major: Double major in Political Science and Economics. 

School: UConn graduated in 2014. Been working for 1 year.

Work Experience/Internships: Interned for a state rep for 1 semester, Interned for the state democratic party which later hired me on as a finance assistant out of college where I managed several interns. Currently, I am working in Purchasing/Supply Chain at a major defense contractor. 

Languages: Only the bits and pieces of Spanish I can remember from high school.

Quant background: Intermediate Micro/Macro, Calc 1, Stats 1, Econometrics, Quantitative Analysis in Poly Sci, Methods in Survey Reseach

Research: I worked with 2 of my economics professors studying the economics of religion.

GRE: Haven't taken it yet. I have heard however that many foreign schools (outside US) do not require it though I will likely still take it.

LORs: Here is where I worry, it seems most programs want academic letters and I am not sure I can obtain any strong ones. I went to a very large school and did not develop much of a rapport with my professors. I have been out a year and am unsure if any would even remember me well enough to write a strong LOR but I suppose I could reach out. The state rep. I interned with would definitely write one as well as several of my former employers.

So I am living in New England now but do not really care where I end up so the location of a program is no issue. My main interests are in Foreign policy, international relations, development, economics. So if anyone could recommend a decent program for these areas I would be thankful. My ultimate career goal would be to work for the State Dept. as a FSO. 

As I have looked through this forum and browsed some program sites I feel as if I am woefully under qualified. Any advice on how to become more competitive would be welcome. 

You're not underqualified! You *might* not get into Harvard/Princeton. But most people don't. You'll get something great, I'm sure!

Re: LORs - Most profs are used to writing these. I would reach out to 1-2 of the profs whose classes you scored highest in / contributed to most discussions in, to let them know what you're doing now and give them a heads up that you're applying to grad school. They are used to writing LORs for students and should reply positively. Then you can send them another email where you refresh their memory with the marks you scored in their classes, the presentations you gave and the essays you wrote. I didn't really speak to my IR prof for 2 years but he still wrote me a nice recco letter after I did what I just outlined. I'm sure you can ask your employer for a good recco letter anyway.

Other advice:

1. Study hard, practise harder and nail your GRE. 

2. study the 'Am I competitive' thread and the 'Final decision wrap up' threads for the last 3 years to get a sense of where you fit in the grand scheme of things. It will help you outline programs that are a good fit for you (HKS, WWS as dream schools, maybe 3-4 other stretch schools and 2 safety schools where you have a great chance of funding)

Good luck. You'll be fine.