Relevant research experience for PhD

Ash04

I have a masters degree in Biotechnology and I have been working for 5 years as research associate. My first job was in Cancer genomics and I was very much fascinated by application of genomics and precision medicine in treating and diagnosing cancer. I primarily worked with DNA, using different techniques to study cancer genomes. I wanted to see how this knowledge can be applied to other fields like immunology and wanted to work on in-vitro studies. So I got an opportunity to study molecular mechanisms in influenza using cell culture and genomics. Now I am planning on planning on applying to PhD programs with concentration in Cancer genomics. Would me changing my job to study influenza affect my PhD application?

Thank you!

I have a masters degree in Biotechnology and I have been working for 5 years as research associate. My first job was in Cancer genomics and I was very much fascinated by application of genomics and precision medicine in treating and diagnosing cancer. I primarily worked with DNA, using different techniques to study cancer genomes. I wanted to see how this knowledge can be applied to other fields like immunology and wanted to work on in-vitro studies. So I got an opportunity to study molecular mechanisms in influenza using cell culture and genomics. Now I am planning on planning on applying to PhD programs with concentration in Cancer genomics. Would me changing my job to study influenza affect my PhD application?

Thank you!

It shouldn't affect much. Any research/work experience can only help your application, along with other factors.

Echoing aberrant, you would be welcomed in most cancer programs if you have that extensive of a research background - baring no complications and meeting the base requirements for applying to the program (GPA, GRE, SoP, LoRs, etc). 

• 2 months later...

Hi @eteshoe and @aberrant

Thank you so much for the response. Could you please comment on my profile/university choices?

Undergrad Institution: SRM, INDIA 8.75/10 BIOTECHNOLOGY-Domestic

Grad Institution: UT DALLAS, USA 3.75/4 BIOTECHNOLOGY-International

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q:159
V:155
W:4
B:

TOEFL Total: 105 - Have a masters degree from USA

Research Experience: 

Bioprocess projects - undergrad thesis

1 year-during masters

3.5 years - cancer genomics - co-author on 3 publications (2-nature genetics, 1-LANCET ONCOLOGY

1 year and going - influenza research 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: N/A

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: trained new technicians, fellows and travelled to korea for training staff in Cancer genomics protocols

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: (Such as connections, grad classes, famous recommenders, female or minority status etc...)

2 recommendations from HARVARD (CHIEF OF DEPT)

2 FROM UMASS MEDICAL CENTER (CHIEF OF DEPT)

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:
Interdisciplinary programs (Cancer biology) 

1 Harvard University
2 MIT
3 University of Chicago
4 SCRIPPS Research Institute
5 DUKE University
6 Northwestern University
7 University of North Carolina
8 Vanderbilt University
9 University of Arizona
10 University of Southern California
11 Boston University
12 Tufts University
13 University of Massachusetts, Worcester
14 University Miami,  Coral Gables

Hope to get in Fall 2016

Question about SOP- Do I have to be very specific about the research topic I want to work on?

If you're interested in cancer biology, why wouldn't you apply to Sloan or MD Anderson? Also JHU is strong with Vogelstein etc.

Your SoP should focus more on the field and general questions you want to ask but you're not expected to already know what your PhD project will be.

Edited by Micecroscopy
adding sentence

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2015 at 3:13 AM, Ash04 said:

Hi @eteshoe and @aberrant

Thank you so much for the response. Could you please comment on my profile/university choices?

Undergrad Institution: SRM, INDIA 8.75/10 BIOTECHNOLOGY-Domestic

Grad Institution: UT DALLAS, USA 3.75/4 BIOTECHNOLOGY-International

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q:159
V:155
W:4
B:

TOEFL Total: 105 - Have a masters degree from USA

Research Experience: 

Bioprocess projects - undergrad thesis

1 year-during masters

3.5 years - cancer genomics - co-author on 3 publications (2-nature genetics, 1-LANCET ONCOLOGY

1 year and going - influenza research 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: N/A

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: trained new technicians, fellows and travelled to korea for training staff in Cancer genomics protocols

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: (Such as connections, grad classes, famous recommenders, female or minority status etc...)

2 recommendations from HARVARD (CHIEF OF DEPT)

2 FROM UMASS MEDICAL CENTER (CHIEF OF DEPT)

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:
Interdisciplinary programs (Cancer biology) 

1 Harvard University
2 MIT
3 University of Chicago
4 SCRIPPS Research Institute
5 DUKE University
6 Northwestern University
7 University of North Carolina
8 Vanderbilt University
9 University of Arizona
10 University of Southern California
11 Boston University
12 Tufts University
13 University of Massachusetts, Worcester
14 University Miami,  Coral Gables

Hope to get in Fall 2016

Question about SOP- Do I have to be very specific about the research topic I want to work on?

Hey you have wonderful profile and am sure will get to the top schools. I have also applied for ABBS program for fall 2016 and seems you have already been interviewed from them. I am very skeptical about my chances though as iam an international student and I have not studied in USA with mediocre grades and gre lets see what happens....

ANyways best of luck.

Sorry for typos...:-)