Chances of Getting in to Neuroscience PhD Program?

FY5913

Hi, guys!

I'm hoping that someone can give me some advice. I have a 3.47 GPA, BA in psychology, and just received my GRE scores (159 verbal & 154 quant). I was really hoping to score higher, since my GPA is on the lower end. I am currently working in an oncology lab and hope to volunteer in a neuro lab after the Winter '16 semester. I am taking some more bio & chem courses to beef up my background knowledge.

Based on previous applicants, what are my chances of getting into a good program? I have the time to retake the GRE (I will be applying next December). I may or may not have publications or a poster, though. I would love to get into Minnesota, but my quant score and GPA are on the lower side...

Thanks!

I am taking some more bio & chem courses to beef up my background knowledge.

What upper-division biology and chemistry courses have you taken/will you have taken? Based on all of my lurking, psychology applicants in neuro may be lacking in some coursework that many other science majors have already taken. 

• 1 month later...

What upper-division biology and chemistry courses have you taken/will you have taken? Based on all of my lurking, psychology applicants in neuro may be lacking in some coursework that many other science majors have already taken. 

I have taken two neuroscience courses, cell biology, basic bio, inorganic and organic chemistry, microbiology, and will take genetics and biochem next semester.

I guess that my other question is what caliber programs I should look into. Obviously, I'm not going to get into a top 10 school, but would I stand a chance at, say, Minnesota, Emory, or Chicago? Or should I focus on lower to mid-ranged schools?

• 2 months later...

For all the science graduate programs, research experience is the most important. How long have you spent in that oncology lab? Will you have any presentations or publications? If you only have <1 year of neuro research, you might not be as strong of a candidate. You might want to consider retaking the GRE or staying on as research assistant for a year or two after college to improve your chances.

You may also consider applying to more interdisciplinary programs rather than only straight neuro. Many of them have a variety of professors to choose from, and though I'm wasn't that into neuroscience, the programs I looked at had several neuroscience-based labs. That would be something you would need to look into before you apply, however.

Now I'm "accidentally" studying the brain for part of my thesis project.