Do I have a chance?

Hello,

I am currently a junior majoring in SLP. I have a cumulative GPA of 3.4 and have 3 semesters left of my undergrad (have to stay an extra semester to complete core classes) so I would be going to grad school in Fall 2017. I am hoping to be at at least around a 3.5 by the time I graduate and have also done research for a year. I am also in NSSLHA. Everything I hear about SLP grad school applicants is that they have 3.8+ GPAs and have even heard about people having 3.9 and getting rejected. My biggest fear is to end up not getting into an SLP grad program and having a bachelors I can't do anything with. So I was just wondering if anyone could advise me if realistically I have a chance of getting into an SLP grad school because at this point I am considering even changing my major. Thanks! 

Honestly, I think that basing your chance of acceptance on just numbers alone would be selling yourself too short! Most likely, the reason you are hearing about people getting rejected with a 3.9 is because those applicants may have not had much experience in the field, and/or other parts of their application were weak (e.g., letters of recommendation and personal statement). 

What I've gathered from my professors and mentors over the last two years is that when it comes to applying for a competitive field like speech-pathology, admissions committees are really looking for clinical/research experience, volunteer experience, great letters of rec., and most importantly, passion for the field! The numbers are moderately important so that programs can assess your potential success in graduate school, but the other parts of your app will set you apart from everyone else. So, FORGET THE NUMBERS! :] If this is really what you want to do with your life, then go for it and never give up (as cheesy as that sounds). 

Also, make sure you do your research and apply for programs that you actually want to attend! This is my first year applying and my stats are similar to yours, and one thing I've learned throughout this process is that there are so many other programs besides the ones listed in the "Top 20". Look into programs that might offer specialty tracks that align with your interests, and if you like what they offer, definitely apply! 

I know it's easy to get discouraged when you read through these posts (I know I sure did), but be confident in your strengths. SLP grad school is highly competitive, yes, but don't even think about giving up until you've at least tried once! 

TL;DR apply anyways, and don't change your major!!! 

What I've gathered from my professors and mentors over the last two years is that when it comes to applying for a competitive field like speech-pathology, admissions committees are really looking for clinical/research experience, volunteer experience, great letters of rec., and most importantly, passion for the field!

I'd say this is inaccurate advice that cannot be generalized. Your experience is the exception, unfortunately. Applicants who've worked as SLP assistants for years have been rejected bc they lack the digits. Surely they have passion and experience. But with a 3.5 and solid GRE scores, I'd say you stand a chance. My program at Northeastern State University is not the greatest, but they admit people with low GRE scores but an otherwise good application. And if they don't have a spot for you for the upcoming year, they oftentimes offer you one for the subsequent year which is nice. I don't know of many programs like that, so again, that is also an exception. 

Edited by Pennsatucky

I'd say this is inaccurate advice that cannot be generalized. Your experience is the exception, unfortunately. Applicants who've worked as SLP assistants for years have been rejected bc they lack the digits. Surely they have passion and experience. But with a 3.5 and solid GRE scores, I'd say you stand a chance. My program at Northeastern State University is not the greatest, but they admit people with low GRE scores but an otherwise good application. And if they don't have a spot for you for the upcoming year, they oftentimes offer you one for the subsequent year which is nice. I don't know of many programs like that, so again, that is also an exception. 

I would also like to say, speaking with current SLPs, a huge hindrance to people servings as SLPAs is, while they are getting direct hands-on experience within the field, it is highly supervised and often regimented. Supposedly there is an interest in seeing independent leadership, creativity, and adaptability, even if it is independent of CSD. 

That's not to say the above is true, only what I have been told by numerous individuals I have spoken to. 

I would also like to say, speaking with current SLPs, a huge hindrance to people servings as SLPAs is, while they are getting direct hands-on experience within the field, it is highly supervised and often regimented. Supposedly there is an interest in seeing independent leadership, creativity, and adaptability, even if it is independent of CSD. 

That's not to say the above is true, only what I have been told by numerous individuals I have spoken to. 

Makes sense.

From my experience watching this forum over two application cycles, I have noticed that numbers are the ice cream for the grad school sundae, and experience is the whipped cream and toppings that make the sundae even sweeter. You have to have X stats, with many schools listing their cut-offs or averages. A school may get 200 applicants with stats that meet their cut-off, or are the average for that year. That's where your experience comes in for setting you apart. 

Advice

• -All A's. You /need/ an upward grade trend, awesome last 60 GPA, and near perfect CSD GPA.
  • -Depending on your units you are taking, you can easily bring your GPA up to a 3.60 in three semesters. 
  • -GRE. I personally think a higher GRE score can offset a lower GPA to a slight degree, paired with an upward grade trend. 
  • -Continue gaining experience
  • -Research programs very carefully. Email programs asking if they consider last 60 or cumulative GPA. 

Don't change your major if you love the field. Just do research in regard to schools, apply broadly, and work hard. I am also a junior, and my first semester freshman year grades continue to haunt my cumulative GPA despite near perfect grades since then. I am in a similar boat as you in regards to cumulative GPA. We can't change what has happened in the past, but can do everything to make ourselves the most competitive applicants we can be. 

& personally, I think a 3.60 cumulative paired with a solid GRE score and experience, as well as broadly applying to carefully researched schools is not the shabbiest place to be in. Not the very best, but definitely not terrible.