MA/MSc in Europe (LSE, SOAS, IHEID...)

unagi

Hello,

Anyone applying to LSE programs, IHEID or SOAS? I'm planning on applying to the following:

LSE MSc Political Economy of Late Development
LSE MSc Social Policy and Development
IHEID MA Development Studies
SOAS MSc Development Studies

If so, let's share our questions/experiences!  :) 

I had one particular question: LSE's website says that the letter of rec needs to come from the "latest university department" that you graduated from. How accurate is this? I was going to have a professor (outside of my department that I graduated from) write my letter because I did extensive research under her supervision. This seems like a silly rule to me and I will call the admissions office. But I was wondering if you guys had any experience with this?

Thank you!!

I'm just beginning my research into schools, but am interested in the Master in International Law at IHEID. And for the price, it seems like I'd be an idiot not to apply! I assume that a degree from IHEID would be much more employable in Europe than in the US. Would you say that this is the case unagi?

@Unagi 

I have already submitted my applications to IHEID and Hertie School of Governance and now I'm pressuring my professors to submit the recommendation letters to those schools on my behalf.

I have my fingers X.

Good luck to you guys !

El pichichi that was super quick! Congrats!! I definitely think IHEID is a good school for potential employment post-grad. I am working on the application now so hopefully I am able to submit before the November 15 deadline. How was the application for you?

Good luck to you as well! :)

CakeTea I haven't come across any of those schools.... :( I am paying for all of mine so far....

Hi Unagi,

The application fee and workload limit somewhat the number of my target schools. Just for your information when you factor in total cost for IHEID. Geneva has one of the highest living cost in Europe (along with London), the uni's website suggests a monthly budget of SFr 2000. Most internships tend to be unpaid. The Swiss Franc has appreciated against major currencies in recent months. Most visitors get price tag shock in Geneva. 

I think IHEID alumni have a strong presence in international organisations in Geneva and there are some chapters in Paris, NYC and DC.

Yes definitely! I think in the long run, London might be the best option for me (time wise for sure). So we will see. The living costs in these European cities are insane (esp with the dollar's value!)

You picked schools in the most expensive European cities. The budget breakdown shows variances in cost. Rent, transport, utilities, entertainment and eating out are more expensive in London. Geneva is more expensive for groceries, healthcare, clothing, technology and telecom services. The last time I visited LSE and had lunch in the canteen, I had only salad & diet coke and paid £5 ($7.00). I know a person in my local shop who is admitted to BA at College in London. But the £850 rent in a lousy dorm  would eat up her entire monthly budget. There is a silly answer to international students' question what to bring for life in London. the dry answer from locals/expats: Bring Lots of Money.

The US dollar's exchange rate against £ and SFr has been relatively strong in recent months. The Euro is weak and would makes tuition cheaper.

Hey!

I am applying for the MIA at IHEID! I am rather confused regarding my recommendations though. Don't know whether the person who writes my recommendation matters very much! I am hoping to get done by the 15 November slot. So nervous!

Do the scholarship decisions come out post March itself? Additionally, is it based primarily on financial need? Do you have any ideas of the profiles of people who have been accepted by IHEID on full merit scholarships for the MIA?

Thanks !

Hey!

I am applying for the MIA at IHEID! I am rather confused regarding my recommendations though. Don't know whether the person who writes my recommendation matters very much! I am hoping to get done by the 15 November slot. So nervous!

Do the scholarship decisions come out post March itself? Additionally, is it based primarily on financial need? Do you have any ideas of the profiles of people who have been accepted by IHEID on full merit scholarships for the MIA?

Thanks !

Basically it is a two tier system according to a current student 
1) academic merit (grades, class standing in your year, GRE, awards, prizes)
2) Financial need: it looks at parent's income, adjust it by income bracket in yr country by purchasing power: I think it is 4 levels from can only attend with full FinAid. to student can attend without any FinAid.
You get a ranking in both areas. Example: Academics: Ranked 12, Financial need: Rank 7. In the end, the committee consolidate both scores. So the most suitable candidate for scholarship would be an academically strong student who comes from a low income household.
What do you mean that "Don't know whether the person who writes my recommendation matters very much! I"

Basically it is a two tier sy

Thank you so much, although is the GRE necessary for IHEID applicants? I wrote to them and they said it is only a pre requisite for those who want to study International Economics or International Development, not International Affairs!

I meant, the person recommending me is just someone who overlooked my work in course of a project that I took up working with tribal women in rural India. he isn't someone famous or anything. The other is my university professor. So I am not sure if not having a prominent name recommending you matters very much to them. I am hoping it doesn't obvi9ously as it should ideally be someone who knows you on a personal level and has supervised your work, however I don't know.

stem according to a current student 

1) academic merit (grades, class standing in your year, GRE, awards, prizes)
2) Financial need: it looks at parent's income, adjust it by income bracket in yr country by purchasing power: I think it is 4 levels from can only attend with full FinAid. to student can attend without any FinAid.
You get a ranking in both areas. Example: Academics: Ranked 12, Financial need: Rank 7. In the end, the committee consolidate both scores. So the most suitable candidate for scholarship would be an academically strong student who comes from a low income household.
What do you mean that "Don't know whether the person who writes my recommendation matters very much! I"

The GRE is required  only for MSc international economics, not for interdisciplinary or humanities master's. Most US applicants have taken the GRE and some European too as other peer schools require GRE anyway.

I think some applicants mistake the notion that one needs sby famous as referee to impress the admissions office. Adcom told me that the referee should be: strong writer, know your work (academic or professional supervisor) and support your candidacy strongly. Having said that, it helps if the recommender has some affiliation with your target school such as joint author with IHEID prof, exchange researcher or IHEID alumni.

My referees are not famous, but I have got good grades or feedback from them.

CakeTea, yeah unfortunately most of my schools are in those regions. But strategically speaking, trying to get an internship (or perhaps a job right after Masters), it seems like networking in those cities will help. I'm kind of worried about LSE just because I have heard a lot of people say that it's mostly academic and they don't do a lot to help their student professionally. So in this case IHEID would be a better choice cause from what I have seen, IHEID grads go on to do work with a lot of international agencies and NGOs.

I meant the exchange rate in general. The pound is always relatively stronger so regardless of current time fluctuations, it's always expensive for Americans to go to the UK. :wacko:

Edited by unagi

Unagi:

The problem with one year master’s at UK unis is the lack of summer internships. The year passes so quickly and you need to have some idea of your dissertation by October. I had first hand experience with LSE's career office and attended some company events held at LSE. Not enough staff to give tailor made advice, generally staff points to database and folders and it is up to students to scramble for resources. You need to register to attend recruitment events and it can be a bit cut throat, I witnessed some eye opening dialogues. You share the career office with the general undergrad population and it gets cramped. Most LSE students want to go into Investment Banking, Consulting and Big 4 Accounting. In LSE surveys, Goldman/McKinsey/PWC are popular employers and LSE recruiters are mostly from the corporate sector. Development jobs at LSE are not mainstream and some IO (IMF) require PhD for its young economist programme. SOAS has actually a stronger job pipeline to NGOs and public sector (see career fair) as a result of its history. Note: In the UK, some NGO and public sector internships are unpaid. My sister interned with a large London non profit and she got only train fare reimbursed.

Heya! I'm just gonna randomly butt in while you guys discuss the universities/cities and mention that I too am applying to IHEID! Probably going for either MIA or MIRPS. I see that some people have already applied... I feel so behind already! Best of luck to everyone with their applications :D

• 2 weeks later...

I checked my IHEID  application today. I was very amazed that they have validated all my documents. The app status is now complete. On the other hand, I'm just waiting for the final decision from Hertie. 

A little late to the party, but I'm on the LSE journey as well :) question - does anyone know if SoP expectations are different for UK schools than for US schools? Or are they basically the same?

(Sorry if this has already been asked. Just point me in the right direction if that's the case)

@Elvidi: There is a major difference btw UK and US schools when it comes to SoP. UK unis find extracurriculars less relevant. Coordinators for academic courses want to see your areas of interest, how it fits with the department's focus, potential electives and dissertation topic. Prior research experience or publications are looked upon favourably. It isn't too early as it is a 1 year master's. Some unis (Oxford's research focused MPhil) want to see some bibliography listing.

Hey guys, I applied for the MSc Publicy Policy and Administration & the MSc Public Management and Governance at LSE. Finalised my application on November 13th. It took me ages to finish the Personal Statement....

Same! Completed my application and submitted it today. Letters of rec were already submitted so I am all done now. So glad it's over with. Now to just anxiously wait over the results. :blink::blink: