Question about organization for a Literature Review Sample for Application

grad29

I am working on a literature review for a writing sample as part of my application to a graduate program. My topic is on the relationship between involvement in extracurricular activities and academic achievement. My question is in regards to its organization.

I have 10 studies I plan on using for the review. This number would be much higher for a published review, but for a writing sample I think anything between 7-12 is sufficient. My idea of a good literature review is an academic paper that summarizes known research on a specific topic, using a decent amount of sources that reflect the broadest amount of variation within the topic choice (for instance for my topic, it would be a good idea to include studies of not just American high school students, but perhaps Korean elementary school students as well). Then, in addition to that, providing implications of the aforementioned studies. Basic APA structure aside (title page, references, etc...) I am having a bit of trouble figuring out how to organize it. My plan right now after this introduction:

Academic achievement in high school is an important stepping stone to further education and career success. Yet as the struggle for economic security increases in the United States, the budget for education continues to be scrutinized (Fieldman, 2011). The funding in return for extracurricular activities is often challenged (Zuckerbrod, 2008). In this paper, 10 studies investigating the relationship between involvement in extracurricular activities and academic performance in high school students will be presented to determine whether or not an association exists. The combined results will be analyzed in order to determine what, if any, practical implications for school officials responsible for streamlining an increasingly limited educational budget exist.  

Is to discuss the methodology and results of each study and then go on to talk about any conclusions, generalizations, limitations, and further suggested research.

What do you think about this organization? Feel free to make any suggestions that you think would help make it better.

Edited by westy3789

What you want to avoid is plainly going through studies one through ten with no further linking than that they are all studies. Instead, look at each of the studies that you have and try and find either thematic groupings or a line of development. Perhaps the dominant model used to be that extra curricular activities did little to help, but then scholar X came in and pointed out a new piece of evidence that shows that they do. Scholar Y then expanded on X's model, but now scholar Z is questioning this whole development and thinks that we should perhaps go back to the original idea of extra curriculars not mattering. Of course, that is all quite simplified, but I hope it gives you an idea of the kind of structure that can make it an analysis of changing trends in scholarship, not a list of opinions. Focus on the specifics of how interpretations changed and why. Bring out the debate. 

I will change my introduction to:

Academic achievement has always been an important stepping stone to further success and life satisfaction. Yet as the struggle for economic security increases in the United States, the budget for education continues to be scrutinized (Fieldman, 2011). The funding in return for important resources to learning is often challenged (Zuckerbrod, 2008). School officials are now faced with the responsibility for streamlining an increasingly limited educational budget. This paper investigates one such possible resource to academic achievement that most often requires additional funding: extracurricular activities (ECAs). ECAs “do not involve a grade or academic credit and participation is optional on the part of the student" (Bartkus et al, p. 698). After presenting varying views within the existing literature, practical implications will be suggested to better help aid the budget issue in education.

Then instead of going into the methodology of each study, I will give a general overview of the varying frameworks in chronological order, showing the evolution in thinking, and then a general take-away of how this information can be used and what needs to be researched further. Maybe that organization will be more true to what a better literature review ought to look like. Thoughts?

Edited by westy3789

I mean, it's a better idea but it's still not great. You still don't have a thesis statement. The links from these writing centers may help you:

http://writingcenter.unc.edu/handouts/literature-reviews/

http://www.duluth.umn.edu/~hrallis/guides/researching/litreview.html

http://writing.wisc.edu/Handbook/ReviewofLiterature.html

There's lots more you can find through a simple web search.