Took the GRE cold, wasn't terrible

mariupolo

So, I am applying for geoscience PhD programs at the very top US universities, and I just took my GRE test. I did not prepare for it (except for something yesterday afternoon, mostly just reviewing the test structure and sample question, and fretting over my lack of study). I know, I was stupid. I assumed the test was meant to test existing knowledge, not specific skills to be honed by preparation; I have been busy with my third year; I was not sure I would even apply for grad school in the US until about 2 weeks ago (I am on a 4-year MSci course, so I could just keep studying form my course and end up with a master-level qualifications from a UK top 5 uni). In retrospect (hindsight is 20/20, as we know), I should have really practised the maths questions, since I have always been bad with maths and exercises in general under time pressure (and it showed)... I do not recommend anyone undertakes the test (and the 5 hour round-trip journey, in my case) without a few days of preparation.

All that being said, I got 158 quant (yeah, not getting into those top programs), and 168 verbal. I am not a native English speaker, and I really do not understand the fuss about the verbal section. maybe Italian high school has really given me superior knowledge of words of Latin and Greek origin? I also think the essay part went well (the sample answers online that got less than 5 are awful; I should have done better than that).

Anyway, this is what I has to say (vent). Comment away, or don't, whatever you think.

Hi mariupolo,

Have you done any research into the specific Schools/Programs that you're interested in? Most Program's websites offer information about class statistics, so that you can better compare your self to an 'average' student in the current class. It's difficult to 'luck' your way into a V168, so if your Verbal skills are naturally that strong, then you really just need to put a bit of extra effort into learning the necessary Quant content and Tactics to raise your Quant Score. 

1) What application deadline(s) are you facing?

2) What materials did you use when you studied for the GRE the first time?

GRE Masters aren't born, they're made,

Rich