2016 EE PhD Applicant Profiles and Admission Results

Edotdl

On 2/2/2016 at 5:39 PM, B00mt0wn said:

Are you going to the ASU recruitment event? I got invited also and I am debating on going or not. What area are wanting to do research in? I am applying for e-mag stuff. Antennas, high frequency circuits,...

I've got nothing else going for me so I do plan to go. I'm interested in signal processing research, in particular biomedical signal processing.

On 2/2/2016 at 6:20 PM, nieran said:

I heard from UCSD on Jan 22nd. The chair of the Graduate Admissions Committee sent an email nominating me for admission to the PhD program and inviting me to attend a recruitment weekend from Feb 25th-26th. Not an official admission yet though (and nothing updated on my online application) but it sounds promising. I'm sorry, I hate to be the one to tell you. Although I really don't know much at all about these admissions processes and would be surprised if they've already sent out all the admissions (or nominations) that they have to offer. Don't lose hope! And congratulations on ASU, that's great that they want you out there for a recruitment weekend. Best of luck to you.

Thanks for the info. I knew I shouldn't have asked...haha :P

Did you talk to any of the faculty before applying? What areas are you interested in? Honestly, my application was probably less strong than it could have been had I given it more time...and one my recommenders basically didn't do anything and screwed me over (one of the better recommendations I was hoping for).

The website says they do offer a second round later, and I don't see a rejection so I guess it isn't a totally lost cause, though I won't get my hopes up.

On 2/4/2016 at 2:56 PM, qqqqqq said:

Congratulations! Did you have interviews with MIT? Did you contact anyone there?

No I did not contact anyone as it wasn't really my top choice school as I was sure I won't get in. I applied because my professors literally made me! 

Actually I did not contact any professors at any school before admission as I thought that it might indicate that I was not capable of getting in on my own... sounds bizarre but at that time it made sense to me and thank God it worked out for me. I am desperately waiting for Stanford. Goodluck to everyone!

On 2/4/2016 at 1:56 PM, qqqqqq said:

Congratulations! Did you have interviews with MIT? Did you contact anyone there?

I also did not contact anyone at MIT. Although I sent emails to couples of professors I am interested in working with back on July, I did not get a reply. 

On 2/6/2016 at 5:10 PM, blackswan13 said:

No I did not contact anyone as it wasn't really my top choice school as I was sure I won't get in. I applied because my professors literally made me! 

Actually I did not contact any professors at any school before admission as I thought that it might indicate that I was not capable of getting in on my own... sounds bizarre but at that time it made sense to me and thank God it worked out for me. I am desperately waiting for Stanford. Goodluck to everyone!

Did you receive an email from professor(s) about joining groups or finding advisors? 

14 minutes ago, blackswan13 said:

was anyone by any chance in photonics/devices area?

1 minute ago, timothychong said:

I'm not. I wonder if schools push out their results on different dates depending on the research area.

I'm in devices! But definitely not inclined towards photonics (at all). My friend in comp arch also received a decision, as did my other friend @Edotdl who's interested in more interdisciplinary neuro/bio-related EE research. 

2 hours ago, flipflops said:

Did you receive an email from professor(s) about joining groups or finding advisors? 

No i did not and I dont know anyone who did get an interview. I will probably reach out to people now. What area are you into and are you planning to attend?

22 minutes ago, blackswan13 said:

No i did not and I dont know anyone who did get an interview. I will probably reach out to people now. What area are you into and are you planning to attend?

I am in circuits, and actually I got an email from one of professors who is interested in recruiting me to his group.

4 minutes ago, Edotdl said:

Pretty much my reaction. I guess still a bit salty though...but of course much less. :P

I guess this is the universal law. I got into MIT, UCB and Harvard (applied physics) and other schools and I am still upset about Stanford. Did MIT send out rejects yet? If not you dont know that you did not get in for sure. Congratulations  on your asmissions though :) 

1 minute ago, blackswan13 said:

I guess this is the universal law. I got into MIT, UCB and Harvard (applied physics) and other schools and I am still upset about Stanford. Did MIT send out rejects yet? If not you dont know that you did not get in for sure. Congratulations  on your asmissions though :) 

Thanks! No official rejects from MIT yet. Did they come out for Stanford. Also, congrats on youre acceptances.

4 minutes ago, flipflops said:

I am in circuits, and actually I got an email from one of professors who is interested in recruiting me to his group.

Thats wonderful. I am in photonics/quantum optics. The admission letter said I was fully funded so I am not too worried about finding an advisor before I go in. I have a fellowship at UCB and also got contacted by two very well known people there but I guess MIT will beat Berkeley in my case. Decisions will be super hard 

5 minutes ago, blackswan13 said:

Thats wonderful. I am in photonics/quantum optics. The admission letter said I was fully funded so I am not too worried about finding an advisor before I go in. I have a fellowship at UCB and also got contacted by two very well known people there but I guess MIT will beat Berkeley in my case. Decisions will be super hard 

I did not get the official letter yet (I think USPS takes about 7 days for my state) so will wait for it! I am also going to an open house so see you there! 

How many one-to-one meeting did you request on the portal?

21 minutes ago, flipflops said:

I did not get the official letter yet (I think USPS takes about 7 days for my state) so will wait for it! I am also going to an open house so see you there! 

How many one-to-one meeting did you request on the portal?

I am not sure about who I want to meet. I was so stuck on going to Stanford I really did not consider any other options. I met with my undergrad advisor today and asked him for recommendations and he recommended  ~5 people. Do we have a deadline for that form submission? I look forward to seeing you there as well :)

16 minutes ago, blackswan13 said:

I am not sure about who I want to meet. I was so stuck on going to Stanford I really did not consider any other options. I met with my undergrad advisor today and asked him for recommendations and he recommended  ~5 people. Do we have a deadline for that form submission? I look forward to seeing you there as well :)

I don't think so. I did not get a notification from Stanford either, but originally wanted to go MIT more than Stanford. So, I am good haha