GRE of V149, Q151... highest of both tests: V155,Q151

msmalcolmx

Hello folks... I'm in the application season for PhD programs. My highest scores of two tests were  V155, Q151 (have not received the set score for the second).

No writing score yet on the 2nd due to it being taken this week. I know PhDs are harder to get into that Master's programs... I am applying to 15. Education and Business Admin (OB) are the foci of my programs. Has anyone gotten into these programs with such horrible scores? I also have a 3.8 GPA and 3 past research experiences (none published, but all displayed).

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat.  I have no publications (I completed a dual program - MBA/MA - Diplomacy & International Relations).  I bombed my GMAT, but it was the exact minimum score to get into my program.  GRE is 156V, 152Q, 4.5AW.  My GPA is a blend of the programs (3.66), but my MBA would be north of 3.9 alone (Diplomacy and IR was a new field for me and very, very background intensive).  I applied to 4 programs.  I've gotten 1 interview.  Nothing back on the others yet, but I'm sweating bullets.  Hoping my work experience and recommendations make a big difference.

On 12/26/2015 at 11:32 PM, msmalcolmx said:

Hello folks... I'm in the application season for PhD programs. My highest scores of two tests were  V155, Q151 (have not received the set score for the second).

No writing score yet on the 2nd due to it being taken this week. I know PhDs are harder to get into that Master's programs... I am applying to 15. Education and Business Admin (OB) are the foci of my programs. Has anyone gotten into these programs with such horrible scores? I also have a 3.8 GPA and 3 past research experiences (none published, but all displayed).

I'm not sure how well these numbers can be trusted, but Magoosh published an interesting infographic a few years back.

http://magoosh.com/gre/2014/gre-scores/

Education programs have fairly low standards for GRE, if the graph is to be believed. Now, if you're applying to MBA programs, that's an entirely different animal.

9 minutes ago, Neist said:

I'm not sure how well these numbers can be trusted, but Magoosh published an interesting infographic a few years back.

http://magoosh.com/gre/2014/gre-scores/

Education programs have fairly low standards for GRE, if the graph is to be believed. Now, if you're applying to MBA programs, that's an entirely different animal.

Have you contacted any of the schools?  That's probably the best way to get the answers you want.  Maybe get in touch with your top schools to see what they're looking for and if they have cutoff GRE scores.

Great infographic Neist!  Thanks for sharing!

Neist - for the infographic - I can't tell if that is Master or Doctorate level (after giving it a read).  Do you know?  It was interesting none the less!

38 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

Neist - for the infographic - I can't tell if that is Master or Doctorate level (after giving it a read).  Do you know?  It was interesting none the less!

You know, I have no clue! :) I assume it'd be both, as some of the better programs in a lot of disciplines have no MA, just PhD. 

• 1 month later...

MarkMc- when you hear something- post it.  I'm much in the same boat as you.  Solid PHD app all around, but my GRE scores were not 80th percentile and that is what it seems many schools are looking for.  I applied to 15 schools and have already gotten denial letters for 6 of them.  

My situation is even worse, I got 145V (I am n International student) and 161Q, missed most of the deadlines and applying only to 2 PhD programs. My undergrad GPA is under 3, but only because of the first two years. I am applying for engineering but still interested how the GRE scores reflect on admission.