Quantitative section of the GRE

speechfan222

I have been reviewing all of the concepts for the different sections of the quantitative portion of the GRE. I feel pretty good about them, but sometimes when I practice the exercises and work on examples on my own, I get confused or dont know how to do them. And them I get the wrong answers. Should alot of extra reviewing of the concepts help with this? How else can I get much better at this whole section of the test?

Are you using a study program (PowerPrep, Magoosh, Manhattan Prep, etc.)?  It's hard to recommend something without knowing what you're doing already, but if you are looking for something, I would recommend Manhattan Prep.  You can buy individual study books or take a class.  The study books come with 6 tests each, and when you take a test, it tells you what kinds of questions you missed (Ex. number properties, positives and negatives, etc).  You can then go back to review those specific concepts, which I thought the books cover pretty well.  Studying on your own without a prep course can be less expensive in the short term, but you probably won't see the jump in your score that you're looking for.  I think Magoosh guarantees a 5 point increase, or your money back.

If you really can't afford to invest in a program, check out this forum if you haven't already.

There are so many options for studying.  Choose one or two and stick with it.  Studying for the GRE takes time and effort.  Your score won't improve in a week or two.  I would say give it at least 3-4 months of solid studying.

I used the Magoosh vocabulary apps, which I liked a lot.  I only used the Manhattan Prep books for the Quant section, but I've heard good things about Magoosh for Quant too.  Are you trying to raise both Quant & Verbal, or just Quant?  What about your writing section?  Also, when are you planning to retake the GRE?  How much time you have to study can have a big impact on the best approach to take.  I would think it's more or less too late to retake for this year's application cycle for SLP programs, but if you are applying for next year and looking to retake before then, you're in good shape.

Im looking to raise my verbal and quant scores. My previous writing score was a 4.0 which is ok. I may work on writing some more to try and increase it though. Would you recommend starting in the summer is similar to starting in the spring or fall or should I avoid summer start dates?

Do you mean starting to study, or starting grad school?  I don't think there are any graduate programs that start in the summer, mostly fall and a few in the spring.  I would start studying as soon as you can.  If nothing else, start learning as much vocabulary as you can.  That will help your verbal score, which slp programs generally care more about than quant anyway.