Stanford ICE vs. UPenn IEDP

undecidedjk

Similar to another topic on this forum, I'm currently deciding between these two programs in International Education. From what I've deduced thus far, Stanford's ICE program seems more research-focused with its MA paper requirement whereas UPenn's IEDP program looks to be practitioner-focused with its internship requirement. My academic and professional interests align slightly more with UPenn's program in that I would like to pursue a career involving education in the context of underserved countries; I am, however, privy to the prestige of Stanford GSE and aware that I would have ample opportunities at both schools.

I guess what I'm trying to gauge is how development-focused Stanford's ICE program is. Or, rather, in which areas of international education have alumni of the program entered after completing their studies? While Penn GSE has provided me with plenty of resources and information to chew on, I would still appreciate more knowledge of the ICE program at Stanford as I'm only relying on my prospective MA Admit Day visit to dictate which way I go...

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

I'm deciding between HGSE and Penn.  I had the same concerns about HGSE.  Penn has done a fantastic job about promoting, advertising, and clarifying the nature of their (pretty new!) program.  They are definitely exclusively focused on the developing world in ways that I think no other schools are.  Sorry I don't know as much about ICE, but I would assume with the "comparative" component it would be much broader and not solely focused on underserved countries the way Penn is.  However, that doesn't mean you personally couldn't make that the focus.  

Penn is definitely practitioner focused, because not only do they have you do that internship, but they use the required IEDP classes as job skill builder workshops to prepare you to succeed at them, and have things to put on your resume as existing skills.

• 1 year later...

Hey there,

I know it's been a while since this thread, but I was wondering what school you ended up choosing? I'm between Penn's IEDP and Stanford's ICE right now. My concerns are similar to yours with the dilemma resting on Stanford's MA paper and Penn's internship requirement. I much rather prefer the internship, but don't want to negate Stanford as a choice! I would love to hear where you ended up and how you're liking it!

7 hours ago, Ayassa Lee said:

Hey there,

I know it's been a while since this thread, but I was wondering what school you ended up choosing? I'm between Penn's IEDP and Stanford's ICE right now. My concerns are similar to yours with the dilemma resting on Stanford's MA paper and Penn's internship requirement. I much rather prefer the internship, but don't want to negate Stanford as a choice! I would love to hear where you ended up and how you're liking it!

I have heard from people at HGSE who chose HGSE over Stanford that the reason had a lot to do with the fact that the MA paper was going to be all-consuming (that's what they were told at admitted students day) and they wouldn't really have time to do internships or anything like that. IMO, building your resume through actual experiences is more important than a paper.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys! I am an international student and I got waitlisted for ICE on March 2nd and also got accepted at Penn!

However, because I've applied through a scholarship and contact is through a designated spokesperson, I don't have access to the email. Could anyone guide me in this regard (maybe copy/paste the content of the email here, if possible)? When are we expecting the waitlist to be processed? 

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering how everyone’s choices turned out. I’m trying to decide between the IEP program at Harvard, the CIDE program at UMinn and the IEDP program at UPenn.

I’ve had a fair amount of work experience in international education from the nonprofit and NGO perspective, and domestic experience with preschool and early cuildhod education as a teacher, and am most interested in concentrating on ECE and community development in developing and unstable contexts domestically and internationally. 

Specifically, I’m hoping to strength my data analysis skills, learn and develop cooperative and sustainable community education models, and build connections for future school initiatives in the US.

Any advice you have about your experiences or choices would be much appreciated!