Improving my chances to get into grad school with low GPA

shatun92

So, my situation is the following. I graduated with 3.05 CGPA from Electrical Engineer department (my major GPA is similar, have 3,04 for 3/4 level classes. Also, took two graduate level classes). I currently work as electrical engineer and I am interested in going to grad. school for MSc (interested in University of British Columbia, University of Toronto and McGill). My first choice school (UBC) doesn't require GRE (it is listed as optional but I will take it anyways). I am also writing a research paper and plan to publish it. LOR: I will have two pretty strong LORs but from people in the industry.

Now the weak point: undergrad GPA. Since, I am currently working in a completely different country, going back to my school for post baccalaureate is not an option. But here what I thought would be a good idea: taking a 1.5 year professional Masters (goes as Master of Electrical Engineering) in the country where I currently work. Note, that is not a thesis option, so hopefully admission committee will not question why do I need a second Masters.

So the question is: will getting Masters of Electrical Engineering (non-thesis based) while I work full-time help with my chances of getting into grad school? If not, what would be your suggestions?

I am also an international student, even though I got BSc from the USA.

Thank you.

Edited by shatun92
Spelling

Forget the idea for a paper to help your chances for now. The timeline to get published is more than a year, especially if you get rejected or have a revise-and-resubmit. Getting a professional master's, in and of itself, will not help. You need to show committees you can handle graduate-level work, which means getting a GPA of 3.7 or higher.

Just now, GradSchoolTruther said:

Forget the idea for a paper to help your chances for now. The timeline to get published is more than a year, especially if you get rejected or have a revise-and-resubmit. Getting a professional master's, in and of itself, will not help. You need to show committees you can handle graduate-level work, which means getting a GPA of 3.7 or higher.

I am not applying this year. I will most likely apply in 1 year time-period. I hope by that time I will have published article.

Also, Professional masters do consist of graduate level courses. In my university (the one I receive BSc from), Master of Engineering (AKA professional Masters) is pretty much Master of Science without thesis. I plan to beast MEE and then apply. Thus, it will show the graduate committee that I can handle graduate level classes. 

What would be your suggestion? How can I improve my profile for UBC, McGill and UToronto? I can afford to fund myself through the first year, if that would make a big difference.

Edited by shatun92

I know you'd be applying next year. I wouldn't count on being published within a year, especially if you don't have prior publishing experience. It takes a few months to even hear back from an editor, which means you need the paper submitted in 4-6 months to even be close to having it published.

I also understand that a professional master's degree is graduate-level coursework. I wasn't arguing that point. You need to do well in a professional master's, which means a GPA of 3.7 or above.

2 hours ago, GradSchoolTruther said:

I know you'd be applying next year. I wouldn't count on being published within a year, especially if you don't have prior publishing experience. It takes a few months to even hear back from an editor, which means you need the paper submitted in 4-6 months to even be close to having it published.

I also understand that a professional master's degree is graduate-level coursework. I wasn't arguing that point. You need to do well in a professional master's, which means a GPA of 3.7 or above.

I see. What if I do not get published but still will show that I have research experience? It could be done by asking for a LOR from research advisor.

I have one more question. After googling and researching, I noticed that no one has ever gone that route. Do you think that it might actually look bad if I get Professional Masters in Power Engineering and then go for Master of Science in Controls Engineering? They are both branches of Electrical Engineering which means I pretty much do Masters in the same field (even though classes would be different and overall curriculum is not the same).

If you think, that would look a little bit odd, then what would you suggest? I don't want to take Professional Masters in a completely different field because I want to show that I am capable of taking graduate level classes.