Possible POI from another Field?

jackofclubs

I'm a bit new to the process, but I was wondering if were possible or at all common to work in archaeology under a professor in another discipline? I'm having a hard time matching my research interests to the right professors of archaeology, but I've found several in History departments that share the same interest as me.

Thanks, 

Jack 

At my institution, there are PhD students every once in awhile who put faculty from other departments on their doctoral committee. However, your primary advisor (aka your dissertation chair) should not and cannot be outside of the PhD-granting department. The only possible exception to this would be if have a "co-chair" situation, where two faculty members are heading your dissertation committee and one happens to be from another department on campus. 

A few other ideas: have you considered applying for history departments, if that is where faculty in your area-of-interest are located? And, are you thinking broadly enough about faculty who may be interested in your project? You're perhaps unlikely to find faculty doing THE THING you're doing, but perhaps you share theoretical interests, methodological interests, geographic/regional expertise?

Also, I'm going to guess you're a historical archaeologist, since you want to do archaeology but POIs are in history. If this is the case, have you considered looking into programs with a particular strength in historical archaeology as a sub-field? E-mail grad students doing historical archaeology at a few different institutions and see what they think of your project and where you might fit.

Edited by farflung