Does works cited count towards page length?

rainy_day

Does works cited count towards page length?

Thanks!!

My interpretation is a resounding no. My writing sample was 20 pages of paper and 2 pages of bibliography, and I included all 22 pages even for programs that specified a 20 page maximum. I figure that they won't - or certainly won't have to - read the bibliography, and it would be inappropriate not to include one. If a program does not specify whether these pages count, there is room for interpretation. Even though '20 page maximum' sounds clear, it is an ambiguous statement. While my interpretation could differ from those of the admissions committees, either way I feel as though I still met the spirit of the rule. After all, It's not like I submitted 21 pages of paper.

I'd love to hear any differing thoughts - although I've already submitted all my applications, and will grow anxious if anyone makes a contrasting argument.

I also submitted 20 pages of text with two pages of bibliography, and don't think the bibliography counts. Some places specifically say they want a maximum of X pages of text, and a bibliography is not necessary. So clearly in that case the bibliography is NOT considered to be part of the page count. When I write essays for my classes, I never include the bibliography in my word count (my university uses word count instead of page count.. but it's essentially the same thing), so I would imagine the same thing goes for application. As the above person said, no one is likely to read your bibliography - it's just there for reference. They just don't want to receive a giant pile of text to sit through and absorb.