Masters program or just more research experience + coursework?

ClinCyto

Undergrad institution: UNC-Chapel Hill
Major: Biology
Minor: Chemistry
GPA in Major: 3.1 if just counting biology courses, much lower if counting required chem--more on that later
Overall GPA: 3.15
Type of student: Domestic, Asian female, rising senior

No GRE yet, but I did very well on the SAT w/o studying and prep is going well.

Research experience: 1.5 years in a neuroscience lab, probably 1700 hrs total. 2 middle author publications, one in a decently high impact journal for the field. Will be working in a molecular genetics lab starting this August for the next year. Poster presentation at an undergrad research symposium (at my school) scheduled for this December.

Awards/Honors: $3000 SURF from my undergrad institution (had to write a research proposal for it); $1000 from a privately funded fellowship connected to SURF; University Honors Program (top 10% of each class)

Activities/Jobs: Volunteered as a peer writing mentor to help SURF applicants with their research proposals; was an upperclassman mentor to freshmen in the honors program; on exec. committee of a student-run nonprofit of ~100 people. Not sure how relevant some of this is but I figured I should include it.

Other Info: My transcript is EXTREMELY messed up. I flunked the same chemistry class twice (I was lazy and skipped class. It's not even a hard class. I'm an idiot.) and am taking it for the third time this fall. I got a D in gen chem II (retook for a B). I got a D in a 200 level bio class (retook for an A). A C- in an upper level bio class (it was hard af AND I didn't study). Most of the bad grades happened my first two years, but I failed that chem class for the second time just last semester and got that C- 5 weeks ago. I'm motivated to work hard and get as close to straight A's as possible going forward. Even so, I know that my record is unacceptable to PhD programs.

My question is, I have a couple of options for after graduation, before I apply to PhD programs: tech job, research assistant job, RA job + some coursework at a university, masters program. I feel like a masters would be my best bet given that coursework is my problem, not research experience. But I'm not sure I'll get in, and I can't seem to find too much info online. I'm specifically looking at NC State's masters in genetics for next year, then getting a PhD in something related to molecular or cytogenetics. Any insight/advice on what I should apply for/be doing? Other than making decent grades lol.

Your best bet based on your past is honestly a thesis-based Masters program, where you will be doing research as well as improving your grades. Right now what you need to show adcoms that you can be committed and you won't flake out. Research takes a lot of time and attention, and your past academic history makes you sound extremely immature and, to be frank, if I were on an adcom I would not offer you admission based on the fact that I don't think you would take it seriously. So apply for a thesis based Masters (these are usually MS degrees) to improve your grades and show that you have the commitment and maturity to see the program through and do the work required.

Edited by kimmibeans