Low Overall GPA

ZombieBirdhouse

I'll preface by pointing out that I'm new to GradCafe (Although I've been lurking for a while), so apologies for breaking any forum rules. I recently graduated with a B.S. in sociology from a small state school in the Midwest. Long story short, my overall GPA is 2.9, I haven't calculated the GPA for my last 60 hours yet, although I can say that since changing my major to sociology I had only received two C's, as well as receiving an A in all core courses (Theory, methods, stats, etc).  I have yet to take the GRE, I am told that I am a strong writer. I've conducted research in the field although I have yet to be published. The impasse that I find myself in is my interest in cultural studies and semiotics. I'm having trouble finding programs that cater to my research interests without being reach schools that my GPA makes prohibitive such as U. Penn. 

Should I write off these reach schools entirely? If so, are there any resources to help me track down smaller schools that cater to the sociology of popular culture? Any help is appreciated.

Perhaps take the GRE, calculate your last 60 average, finalize your C.V. so you know what you really have to offer, and then take a look at the 'reach' schools and decide if it's worth applying?  I wouldn't necessarily write them off until you know where you stand.   

As for other programs.... I know Northwestern, NYU, and Columbia all have specializations in culture, but I suppose those are all top ranked too.  UCSB does culture.  The theorists whose work inspires you- where are they located?  Are you married to the idea of pursuing sociology?  Have you looked at American Studies or Cultural Studies degrees?  

I realize I offered no tangible help, but I promise, I did the best I could!

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't worry too much about what is reach and what isn't. Focus on a polished sample and write an SOP for each school you're applying to. Yale, Northwestern, Rutgers, UCSD, UVA, and Notre Dame are all solid options. If you're specifically looking at pop culture, join the American Culture Association/ Pop Culture Association (ACA/PCA) and check out who teaches where.