Finances (sorry I'm posting so much lately)

Hey everyone,

I'm feeling very disheartened. Planning on applying to NJ master's programs this fall/winter. I have thus far taken 4 online pre-reqs and am taking two more this fall. My frustration no matter how I look at it is this....MONEY. I'm staying in NJ for a number of reasons. Schools range from in the 40k region to upwards of 90k. I guess I can see taking out loans for tuition if I cannot get a GA or TA position. Even that feels horrendous, though, being 24 now and having paid off 55k in undergrad loans just to do it again. My bigger concern is housing. HOW do you afford it? By this time next year, I could theoretically save around 20k. In NJ, there's no way that is enough for 2 years of apartment rent and food, even if I have a roommate. I simply refuse to take out loans to afford rent somewhere. So how do you do it??? I guess if I fail to get a GA or TA position, I could always work somewhere part time to pay rent. Otherwise, no clue.

Also, can anyone suggest, would it be best to wait until I finish fall classes (December), get my grades, then send in all my appplications? I'm concerned because I've heard sending early offers a better shot at GA or TA positions but I'm hesitant to apply without having completed my 6 pre-reqs yet. Any advice seriously appreciated.

Kate

I would contact each school and ask when they offer those positions. Some schools offer it with your acceptance, and others wait till they have their cohort to offer those positions. Once you get that information, it will make your decision easier. School doesn't have to be expensive, but it can be depending on where you go. If you do some research and can move, you should be able to find some out of state schools with decent tuition. For example, if you followed your plan and moved to the south, 20k should be more than enough to cover the two years. It just depends how much you are willing to sacrifice. Good luck!

That's a good idea, thank you. Hopefully some Jersey schools will tell me ASAP if I can get a graduate assistant position. My concern is getting a few acceptances and having no clue how to determine cost if I don't know which schools I did or did not get an assistant position with. I've considered moving but I just don't think it's in the cards. My whole family is here and I'm in a serious relationship that I really do not want to put on hold while I'm down south, and he absolutely cannot move out of state.

Can I ask, if your whole family is here and you have a boyfriend, is there really no way you could live with someone rent-free while you're in school? It just seems strange to limit yourself geographically (and therefore limit the opportunities you have to get a funded position) for the sake of family when your family won't let you crash on the couch, you know?

You can just calculate which schools you apply to based on if you don't get a GA, because right now you don't have one and you might not get one. Since you don't want to move, you could always commute. I know it sucks, but you aren't giving yourself many options. I moved from my family and serious boyfriend to go to school. If they truly support you, it shouldn't be an issue. 

I'm interested in graduating and getting a job in NJ as soon as possible as I'm likely staying in this state long-term. Moving out of state for school would delay that. Also, I have several doctors in-state that I see for medical conditions so it'd be a huge hassle trying to get to-and-fro. 

Have you considered Delaware and the schools in Philadelphia? It sounds like you're in South Jersey. You wouldn't get in-state tuition (unless there's a NJ/DE reciprocity that I'm forgetting), but since staying close to your community is important to you, it might be worth considering, especially if you could stay with someone rent-free.

I'm actually in central western Jersey, right on the river. And I have, but in Philly the rent would be the issue. Rent is VERY expensive unless in a not-so-great area so it would end up being similar, cost-wise. Delaware I've taken peeks at but again the tuition is so similar that it just seems more of a hassle. Unfortunately while my important people are in Jersey, they're in middle-of-nowhere Jersey :P  And i've been told an hour and a half commute in SLP grad school is insane with the amount of work that needs to get done. 

24 minutes ago, Kate22192 said:

And i've been told an hour and a half commute in SLP grad school is insane with the amount of work that needs to get done. 

FWIW, I currently commute about 100 miles a day for an MA. Granted I'm in a completely different field, but I can't foresee the workload being that different. I have grad seminars, plus I teach an undergrad class as instructor of record meaning I have to be on campus 4 days a week. It's not ideal, but it is what I have to do based on current life circumstances. I paid off my undergrad and determined I didn't want to go into debt for the MA, which meant only accepting an offer with funding. I applied to 2 schools that I could commute too, got into one with funding, and thats where I am. 

I actually don't find commuting that terrible, except when there is a foot of snow on the ground. It's a good time to think, work on language learning, or listen to podcasts or audio-books that might be in your research area. 

I have a couple of thoughts. If you can apply to public schools near you, you may be able to get a GA (graduate assistantship) from either the department or another department in the school. Comb over the websites of public schools and see if there are GAs you can apply to. For many of them, you can apply before you begin the degree program. Most of these GA positions have significant tuition benefits, and may give you in state tuition. Second, you won't know what's "insane" for you until you actually start to do the program. Even if you live at home for just one year, and then move to an apartment in the second year due to the commute, that's a year worth of rent that you are saving.

On 8/17/2016 at 6:20 PM, esopha said:

I have a couple of thoughts. If you can apply to public schools near you, you may be able to get a GA (graduate assistantship) from either the department or another department in the school. Comb over the websites of public schools and see if there are GAs you can apply to. For many of them, you can apply before you begin the degree program. Most of these GA positions have significant tuition benefits, and may give you in state tuition. Second, you won't know what's "insane" for you until you actually start to do the program. Even if you live at home for just one year, and then move to an apartment in the second year due to the commute, that's a year worth of rent that you are saving.

That's true! Theoretically I could even try a commute for the first semester and find an apartment if that doesn't work out. I'll look through GA positions too!!