I just completed my statement of purpose for one of my applications. I answered all of the required questions and elaborated on them as much as I could. The SOP must be between 4-5 pages and I'm only at 3 pages. What other information should I include? I need suggestions, opinions, comments! I'm ready to submit my application, but I need to make my SOP a page longer. Help!

Is there something about your life experience that could be woven into the SOP? Or maybe a concept from undergrad that stuck with you, that made you choose the field you want to study? An internship or work-related experience that taught you to do something...or avoid doing certain things/not to think in certain ways? Did some aspect of studying a second language make an impression?

Maybe you've already thought about or done thees, but adding nonetheless to stimulate thinking for you or other respondents on this thread.

But on a more devious level, if you can actually increase the font size of your full-stops and other punctuation marks by just one point, you'll cover a lot of ground ;) There should be away to do this in one click through the Find and Replace function in Word.

I'm applying to a different masters program than I completed my bachelors degree in. I took a course relating to the masters program, but I don't have any other courses or clinical experience to mention or relate to. I have work experience, but it's not related to either degree.

I normally write academic papers in Times New Roman 12 pt font. Should I increase the whole paper to 14 pt font then? I have a title page in 14 pt and it looks too big, so I use 12 for the actual paper. I'll read it over again and see what other information I may be able to add.

Thanks!

Edited by speechfan222

How is the SOP being submitted? If it is plain text, then the font size will not make a difference, as if they actually print it, it will probably be 12pt TNR or similar. If you are submitting a formatted document/pdf then the size difference will be noticed as 1 inch margins and 12pt TNR double spaced (unless single space is specified) is pretty standard. The best you could do on fudging the typography is a double space after a sentence ending period, and that probably won't make much of a difference.

If they are specifically looking for N pages, then anything in the range of (N-1)+0.5 to N+0.25 should be OK. In your case that would mean somewhere between 3.5 and 5.25 would work.

34 minutes ago, avflinsch said:

How is the SOP being submitted? If it is plain text, then the font size will not make a difference, as if they actually print it, it will probably be 12pt TNR or similar. If you are submitting a formatted document/pdf then the size difference will be noticed as 1 inch margins and 12pt TNR double spaced (unless single space is specified) is pretty standard. The best you could do on fudging the typography is a double space after a sentence ending period, and that probably won't make much of a difference.

If they are specifically looking for N pages, then anything in the range of (N-1)+0.5 to N+0.25 should be OK. In your case that would mean somewhere between 3.5 and 5.25 would work.

It's sent as an attachment within the application. I'm attaching the SOP and my resume. Ill try my hardest to add some more to it, but it's tough. I just don't want my app to be rejected because my SOP is too short. That's good info to know. Thanks!

34 minutes ago, avflinsch said:

1 hour ago, speechfan222 said:

I'm applying to a different masters program than I completed my bachelors degree in. I took a course relating to the masters program, but I don't have any other courses or clinical experience to mention or relate to. I have work experience, but it's not related to either degree.

There must be a story behind how you decided to jump majors. Unless you've told that story, it could be a good way to illustrate your interest as well as the change in course, which is something the admissions committee is probably wondering already.

On typography, @avflinsch is right.

I currently have 3 1/2 pages completed for my SOP. It needs to be between 4 and 5 pages. I've read it over several times and added a little more to it. I'm not sure what else to include or how to make it long. A few others suggested that I increase my font size and I would be okay. My undergrad major is different than the masters program I'm applying to. There aren't any specific reasons why I changed majors, so I can't really explain that. Any other suggestions or information I should add? Please help! I'm ready to get this SOP done!