Finalizing school list - some questions

saranyc234

Hello - I know it is a little bit late to still be thinking about where to apply, but here I am ! I know that my list may seem long, but I am coming from a non-traditional background so I am not sure how my application will play out. I realize it takes a lot of time and money to apply to many places but not using that as a decision maker right now. After graduating I am hoping to get into IFC, World Bank etc. I am coming from a finance/banking background. 

The programs I am considering but still unsure:

1. Yale Jackson - what is the difference between Jackson versus the IDE program? Is one significantly more competitive? I recognize IDE is 1 year and seems more academic focused.

2. Sanford vs. Batten - I will probably only end up applying to one of these schools. Batten seems extremely new which makes me hesitant. 

3. WWS - I am coming from a finance/banking background. I have public service but not in the capacity of long term work abroad. Is it even worth applying with this type of background? Seems like they really value public service (i realize all do to an extent, but their incoming class profiles are less % from private sector)

4. Stanford IPS - is this mostly students coming out of undergrad? I rarely hear much on these boards about it. 

5. Penn Fels - is this very domestic career oriented in government type positions?

Thanks everyone! 

jackson is IR and Global Affairs focused, interdisciplinary to all background and jackson has better funding. IDE is development, more technical and requires pre econ knowledge, narrower syllabus. 

Sanford is more established and has some high profile profs, emphasis on work experience, good balance btw rigorous theory and practice. It is known for fair funding and international exchange option. attracts strong applicants. Sanford's concentrations have a clear profile. I hear positive feedback from current students.

Fels: Yes, mostly domestic and Northeast. Close relationship with local government, small and friendly class, loyal alumni

• 2 weeks later...

Please apply to Sanford! Though we have a small cohort (60-ish people per class), it's very tight-knit. I can even refer you to a current second-year student who came from a career in finance (seven years as a trader on Wall Street)... =) I know it can be hard to tell from a website or a forum if you're going to fit in at a school or get what you want out of those two years. PM me if you want me to put you in touch with him!!

Edited by chocolatecheesecake

"jackson is IR and Global Affairs focused, interdisciplinary to all background and jackson has better funding. IDE is development, more technical and requires pre econ knowledge, narrower syllabus."

Jackson is much more flexible than IDE and allows you to blend business school, law school, global affairs, econ, anthropology, etc classes to tailor your schedule to your interests. You can also really get to know senior fellows, whereas IDE doesn't really have anything analogous. Also, you can take IDE courses as a Jackson student.

IDE students tend to be younger, almost all are international students, and were mostly econ undergraduate majors. Take a look at the Jackson student bios and IDE student bios (both are on our websites) to get a sense of the difference.