Can guarantor get charged for anything?

Hey guys,

has anyone here ever had guarantor for leasing contract? Do they charge guarantor for anything without sending a bill to you first?

The thing is I want to ask some guy (who is US citizen) to be my guarantor, but I don`t want him to get charged for anything at all. I`m willing to pay whatever damage I might cause in future by myself. The only reason I need guarantor is that I wouldn't need to pay the deposit in that case.

You will have to look into the specific language of the lease. Usually the point of the guarantor is that if the landlord cannot get the payment from you, they can go after your guarantor. So, depending on the lease, your guarantor could be responsible for paying costs that you fail to pay. It is unlikely they will go after your guarantor unless you refused to pay them.

I wish you luck! I want to note that you are asking for a big favour if you ask someone to be your guarantor. In most cases, you are causing them to be potentially financially responsible for you. I would not do this for anyone that wasn't a family member or a really close friend. 

49 minutes ago, TakeruK said:

You will have to look into the specific language of the lease. Usually the point of the guarantor is that if the landlord cannot get the payment from you, they can go after your guarantor. So, depending on the lease, your guarantor could be responsible for paying costs that you fail to pay. It is unlikely they will go after your guarantor unless you refused to pay them.

I wish you luck! I want to note that you are asking for a big favour if you ask someone to be your guarantor. In most cases, you are causing them to be potentially financially responsible for you. I would not do this for anyone that wasn't a family member or a really close friend. 

Well, that person is my friend and he knows me very well, and he knows that I would never let/want him to get into any trouble because of me

The whole point of the guarantor is that if the tenant doesn't pay, the landlord can go after them for any missed payments or damages. It shouldn't happen that the guarantor get approached before the tenant does. That said, I don't think anyone can guarantee that you won't get tangled up with an unethical landlord who tries to do something they shouldn't, and the very nature of the contract will put your friend in a difficult position if something does happen. Whatever you might say or think, you're asking someone for a big favor. You might have all the best intentions in the world, but they are still on the hook if anything happens so there is a risk involved.