UChi MA Personal Statement Length

Nicholas B

On the application, it says no more than 2500 words, which is about 5-pages single spaced.

However, this limit is for both M* and PhD applicants. I figure a PhD personal statement would naturally be on the longer end.

How long is appropriate for a MA candidate? I was thinking somewhere between 2-3 pages single spaced, approx. 1500 word.

Was just seeing if someone here had experience with this! 

On 12/20/2016 at 8:46 PM, Averroes MD said:

I don't see why an MA candidate couldn't or wouldn't be able to use the same allotted space.

I didn't mean can we use that amount, but should I?

I guess I was thinking that a PhD applicant might have more they need to cover than a M* applicant, and that a M* applicant might have the danger of saying too much.

But, I guess if they didn't specifically mention something like that, I will enjoy using the full word-count. 

On 12/20/2016 at 6:38 PM, Nicholas B said:

On the application, it says no more than 2500 words, which is about 5-pages single spaced.

However, this limit is for both M* and PhD applicants. I figure a PhD personal statement would naturally be on the longer end.

How long is appropriate for a MA candidate? I was thinking somewhere between 2-3 pages single spaced, approx. 1500 word.

Was just seeing if someone here had experience with this! 

My SOP's for PhD applications are about 2.5 pages single spaced, FWIW. Most programs I'm applying to want it under 1000 words. If they give you the space and you can make it work for your, use it. Otherwise, I don't think a 1500 word statement will hurt you at all. 

I've noticed that many people are single-spacing their personal statements. I double-spaced mine, so it appears to be longer, even though it is under the word limit. 

Is there some convention here? Should I have used single space? (Too late to change anything, but just curious.)

Edited by Averroes MD

1 hour ago, Averroes MD said:

I've noticed that many people are single-spacing their personal statements. I double-spaced mine, so it appears to be longer, even though it is under the word limit. 

Is there some convention here? Should I have used single space? (Too late to change anything, but just curious.)

I went with single space, but with space breaks between paragraphs (sort of like a cover letter might be written) because that's the format my advisor suggested I use. But I have no idea if that is just her preference, or a standard convention. 

• 1 month later...

When I applied and was accepted to UC's MA program (in 2009) I double-spaced the statement, though I don't think i filled up 5 pages. I don't an applicant needs to fill up the statement to the max just because they can. The most important thing is that you make your argument as a good fit and capable student.