Experience negotiating financial packages for a Masters?

HiFiWiFi

Question

I'm considering two programs, neither of which will offer amazing funding I'm sure (funding info still on its way to me). One is a perfect fit but expensive due to out-of-state tuition. The other is passable, but not a great fit, but costs 1/3 due to in-state tuition. When I brought this up with a faculty member at my undergrad she talked about how her son, who was going to med school, got into multiple schools and basically approached his top choice and said "I want to go here, but Home State School is a better choice financially, can we negotiate?" and they promptly offered him the in-state tuition rate for their school.

Obviously my programs (MPH in Nutrition with RD Training) would approach this differently than a med school or PhD program where funding is probably more available, but I'm curious all the same. Has anyone negotiated masters costs before?

2 answers to this question

On 2/10/2017 at 11:37 PM, HiFiWiFi said:

I'm considering two programs, neither of which will offer amazing funding I'm sure (funding info still on its way to me). One is a perfect fit but expensive due to out-of-state tuition. The other is passable, but not a great fit, but costs 1/3 due to in-state tuition. When I brought this up with a faculty member at my undergrad she talked about how her son, who was going to med school, got into multiple schools and basically approached his top choice and said "I want to go here, but Home State School is a better choice financially, can we negotiate?" and they promptly offered him the in-state tuition rate for their school.

Obviously my programs (MPH in Nutrition with RD Training) would approach this differently than a med school or PhD program where funding is probably more available, but I'm curious all the same. Has anyone negotiated masters costs before?

I'm curious if you ended up negotiating. I'm currently trying to figure out funding.