Oregon State MA

So several of us were waitlisted by Oregon State, partly because the University extended offers precisely corresponding to available GTAships. I am hoping that there will be some movement in the days to come. I emailed with the MA director last week and was told that the department is also pursuing other funding options for waitlisted candidates and that they would know more by mid-march. Since movement on the list depends on ones field, I though it would be great to keep track of this movement on the forum. 

My field would be 20th century American Lit. 

If you have been accepted or waitlisted, it would be great to hear from you. If you have been accepted as a 20th century Americanist and have better offers, decline your spot already!! 

6 hours ago, Diagon said:

Looks like there are no Oregon State people here! But I just got off the waitlist, yayy me!!! 

I don't have a direct relationship to the grad program, but I did my undergrad at Oregon State before attending a PhD program elsewhere, and I'm very passionate about the program and the people there. Congratulations and I hope you enjoy it if you attend!

@Diagon Out of curiosity, did they happen to indicate whether or not getting off the waitlist was at all connected to you having contacted them? Wishful thinking, obviously, but I'm wondering if I should reach out.

Edited by lepandaroux

4 hours ago, lepandaroux said:

@Diagon Out of curiosity, did they happen to indicate whether or not getting off the waitlist was at all connected to you having contacted them? Wishful thinking, obviously, but I'm wondering if I should reach out.

Hey! I highly doubt that it was the case: wouldn't be fair to other applicants. I am sure that one gets off the list only when someone in ones field declines the offer. I guess I just got lucky to have heard early. Another applicant I know contacted them and was told that they would be informed of any movement as it occurs, and I think that it is very likely that a few (or several) spots will open up in April. 

Even I haven't firmly committed to them yet and will be deciding to accept or decline the offer only by April 6th or so, as I am considering one other school. 

However, it cannot hurt to reach out as it has been over a month since the waitlists were extended; it would be just fine to let them know of your continued interest. Note that they are on Spring Break this week, so I would reach out by next Monday. (you might want to email immediately; there is a chance that you will get a reply even during break time, maybe?) 

All the best to you :) 

19 hours ago, lepandaroux said:

I was accepted from the wait list at Oregon State this week! I didn't call or contact anyone until I received an email to schedule the phone call, but, like @Diagon says, It absolutely can't hurt. I'm 99% on accepting the OSU offer, but its been hard to look away from other schools. I think I am going to wait another week until I formally accept.

Best of luck to everyone. I hope our paths cross in the not too distant future. 

13 minutes ago, Dethlefs said:

I was accepted from the wait list at Oregon State this week! I didn't call or contact anyone until I received an email to schedule the phone call, but, like @Diagon says, It absolutely can't hurt. I'm 99% on accepting the OSU offer, but its been hard to look away from other schools. I think I am going to wait another week until I formally accept.

Best of luck to everyone. I hope our paths cross in the not too distant future. 

Hey congratulations! 

For the benefit of those who are still waiting, you should tell us your field... :) 

Maybe I will see you in Corvallis this September!!