• Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

About Diagon

  • Rank

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Not Telling
  • Location
    Mumbai, India
  • Application Season
    2017 Fall
  • Program
    English Literature (MA)

Recent Profile Visitors

577 profile views
  1. 2018 Applicants

    Since you've asked them before, they should already have copies ready to go. They would only need to change the dates. I don't think there is anything to feel awkward about at all. Lots of people go through multiple cycles from what I can see and a lot of people are figuring themselves out through these application cycles. Also, if you're enrolling in a one year MA (in the UK?) then it would be too soon to ask for recommendations. Classes begin in October and so many American apps are due in early December. The other option would be to apply for 2019 and work only with grad recommenders.
  2. I am starting an MA and even so, I have to teach my own class starting this fall I didn't think such a thing was possible. I was an elementary school teacher so I know what it feels like to lead a classroom, but the thought of 23 college freshmen staring back at me (in a foreign country!!!) makes me quite nervous. I guess we will be fine?!
  3. @TerryHakase You should immediately contact Jessica Marr and discuss what your options are. I don't know about scholarships but there are several other avenues to gain a tuition waiver at Georgetown, including but not limited to working at the Centre for Social Justice. I believe that many new positions are being announced as we speak.
  4. Oregon State MA

    Hey congratulations! For the benefit of those who are still waiting, you should tell us your field... Maybe I will see you in Corvallis this September!!
  5. Oregon State MA

    Hey! I highly doubt that it was the case: wouldn't be fair to other applicants. I am sure that one gets off the list only when someone in ones field declines the offer. I guess I just got lucky to have heard early. Another applicant I know contacted them and was told that they would be informed of any movement as it occurs, and I think that it is very likely that a few (or several) spots will open up in April. Even I haven't firmly committed to them yet and will be deciding to accept or decline the offer only by April 6th or so, as I am considering one other school. However, it cannot hurt to reach out as it has been over a month since the waitlists were extended; it would be just fine to let them know of your continued interest. Note that they are on Spring Break this week, so I would reach out by next Monday. (you might want to email immediately; there is a chance that you will get a reply even during break time, maybe?) All the best to you
  6. Oregon State MA

    All the best! Hope you get a call
  7. Oregon State MA

    Looks like there are no Oregon State people here! But I just got off the waitlist, yayy me!!!
  8. So several of us were waitlisted by Oregon State, partly because the University extended offers precisely corresponding to available GTAships. I am hoping that there will be some movement in the days to come. I emailed with the MA director last week and was told that the department is also pursuing other funding options for waitlisted candidates and that they would know more by mid-march. Since movement on the list depends on ones field, I though it would be great to keep track of this movement on the forum. My field would be 20th century American Lit. If you have been accepted or waitlisted, it would be great to hear from you. If you have been accepted as a 20th century Americanist and have better offers, decline your spot already!!
  9. Georgetown English MA Funding

    Yes, they cover tuition but it appears that the stipend is meagre. I have corresponded with Jessica Marr and all funding offers have been made last week. The rest of us are on a waitlist, but they are not releasing an official waitlist. I suspect that some people without funding will likely be offered funding in April, but it would be wise to begin exploring other options now, including financing Georgetown through other means.
  10. Georgetown English MA Funding

    Congratulations to you! May I ask which funding offer was awarded to you? And do you intend to accept?
  11. Georgetown English MA Funding

    So I emailed the department because I really had to know. They said that funding offers will be made starting today (which was Friday) and all through next week. I am not sure why it will take a week for all the notifications to go out. If anyone does hear, do post it here
  12. GPA Question

    I definitely know someone who got into a top 20 program with a 3.3, major GPA 3.9
  13. From what i have gleaned, admittance to a UK PhD is through a very specific research proposal, almost akin to writing an introduction to your dissertation. So most people go through this second year (Research Mphil/MA). In some cases, one is directly admitted to a PhD program in the Spring of their MA with an Mphil route, i.e. you do an Mphil with the full intention of continuing the PhD at the same institution. Once you hear back, you should clarify these things with the DGS at the UK institution. A stand alone Mphil after an MA would give you time to explore American programs, as you'd have already completed your MA.
  14. I got offers from some really great UK MA programs this year and I especially like Warwick. I also like that they only last one year. While I didn't apply to Edinburgh, I've heard it's one of the very best in the UK. I only have a BA so I can't validate anything from personal experience, but I highly doubt that an Edinburgh degree would put you in any kind of disadvantage. You will have to gather funding of course. I am not sure where I will attend this fall but if I do go to the UK, I will probably apply for a research Mphil for the year following my MA, as this would give me time and preparation for PhD programs. In a one year programs, PhD apps prove difficult.
  15. I applied to four MA programs this season and they all provide funding (guaranteed or merit based) through TA jobs.