Japanese Major Applying to Engineering School

mysteriousmartel

Hi everyone,

I have a bachelor's of arts in Japanese after graduating in 2015, but since then I've wanted to change career paths from the translation work I do now in order to become an engineer. I've already taken the GRE, and I'm currently enrolled in online calculus courses.

The concern I have is that, based on my transcripts, I will never get accepted by any school unless I seek another bachelor's in math/science/engineering. I've looked into the LEAP program at Boston University, which seems like the easiest option to apply to, but I would also like to try to apply to other schools (UW Madison, UMass Amherst, etc.), as they have more renowned programs.

Is there anyone out there that can give me advice on how I can go about this? I'm willing to take more online courses, but maybe there's someone out there who's gone through a similar situation and can give me some tips on what to do. I have from now until next fall (2018) while I complete my employment contract to put plans in motion. I was hoping to get in school by fall of next year, but if that seems implausible, I'll take any advice I can get.

Thanks!

1) Great avatar!

2) I was about to recommend the LEAP program, but I see you already know about it.  I've shifted career paths (but all within STEM, or STEM-related).  Going from a humanities field to engineering is a big stretch.  If you don't want the LEAP program, you'll probably have to do more than online math courses.  You'll need in-person classes.  How else will you do labs, learn design or complete a senior capstone project?  How could you ever compete with kids who have co-op experience and lab research under their belts???  

3) Take things one step at a time.  For now, don't worry about how renowned BU's program is.  Just focus on getting your foot in the door.  As things stand (even with 100 online courses), you wouldn't be competitive at places like Madison. 

9 hours ago, Chai_latte said:

1) Great avatar!

2) I was about to recommend the LEAP program, but I see you already know about it.  I've shifted career paths (but all within STEM, or STEM-related).  Going from a humanities field to engineering is a big stretch.  If you don't want the LEAP program, you'll probably have to do more than online math courses.  You'll need in-person classes.  How else will you do labs, learn design or complete a senior capstone project?  How could you ever compete with kids who have co-op experience and lab research under their belts???  

3) Take things one step at a time.  For now, don't worry about how renowned BU's program is.  Just focus on getting your foot in the door.  As things stand (even with 100 online courses), you wouldn't be competitive at places like Madison. 

Thanks for the advice!

I think I've known deep down that it's going to be impossible to compete against others into getting into programs like Madison without in-person classes, but hearing it from the outside does settle it in for me. I still have my goal set onto LEAP, so I'm going to work hard towards that while under my contract. Thanks!

I think what I'm most concerned about now is what is going to appeal best to BU when applying to their program. I'm going to keep taking online courses, but I wonder if there's a way I can sell what I've done up until now that'll really appeal to the selection committee.

On a tangent, I love Pusheen :D. I couldn't pass the opportunity~.