Program offering money to visit, but I can't. Can I ask for this as relocation allowance instead?

cokitty

I've been offered money from the program I plan to attend to visit before I accept.  However, my employment situation is such that I cannot visit without being fired.  Can I ask for this sum to be put towards a relocation allowance?  Would the program retract its offer of admission if I did this?  

In my field, the University of Toronto's astronomy program offers all new students $1000, either to be used towards a visit weekend and/or for relocation expenses. It's not common for grad programs to offer relocation expenses though.

However, I don't think it will be harmful to you if you ask about it politely, without making it a demand or expecting anything. It would be very strange if a school revoked their offer of admission just because you asked!! So, if you need the money to help with relocation, you should ask. The worst they can do is say no. Unfortunately, sometimes even if the school has the money, there are rules on what they can spend the money on so even though they didn't spend it to fly to you to visit, they might not be allowed to spend it to help you move. But there's no harm in asking politely.

4 hours ago, TakeruK said:

However, I don't think it will be harmful to you if you ask about it politely, without making it a demand or expecting anything. It would be very strange if a school revoked their offer of admission just because you asked!!

Thanks for this... I was asking some people for advice and my father (who, I should have guessed, might be out of touch) is convinced that the program will revoke their offer of admission if I was so "greedy" as to ask for that.

They are very unlikely to revoke their offer of admission because you asked for relocation expenses. Very, very unlikely. The much more likely and realistic response is for them to simply tell you no, they can't do that.

There's no harm in asking.