Math major with mediocre grades. Do I have a shot at econ phD?

markhame

Hi,

I am a math major and I went to a pretty good college, and have a fair number of advanced mathematics courses relevant to econ (Real Analysis, ODE, and an assortment of courses in probability and statistics), and I am coauthor of a paper that is published in an undergraduate journal. But in these listed courses, I have one B- and most of the rest are all B+. My GPA is 3.5, while my in-major GPA is 3.11.

As for my quantitative GRE, it's only the 80th percentile, whereas top programs look for 90th percentile. (I could retake it but I'm not sure how much better I would do).

I am thinking that I might want to get a phD in economics, but I am worried that I wouldn't get accepted into a good program. I feel like math majors are very welcome in econ phD programs, but only assuming you have very good grades. 

Do you think I would be best served by getting a masters or would it be worth my while to just try my luck at applying to graduate schools with my grades being what they are?

Have you taken any econ courses? Do you have any econ research experience? If the answer to both (especially the latter) is no, you will likely have to do a master's regardless of your grades. Study for the GRE and get in the 90th+. Dude, come on. It's high school math.

As for getting accepted into a good program, that depends on what a good program is to you. Provided research experience and good letters, t50 is probably feasible.

I have only taken intro macro and intro micro, as far as economics goes. I don't have any economics research experience, only physics. A masters might be called for in any case.

The math on the GRE is undoubtedly extremely easy but I don't do so well with short-timed exams. I do qualify for extended time though so I could finally use that. I also didn't practice much last time. I guess I can do it if I try.