Advice for Preparing for a Future Application?

OutdoorsEd

I know this board has slowed down since April 15, but hopefully someone here can help me. Forgive me for bumping this periodically over the next few months. 

I had to turn down my offers this cycle due to financial and family reasons. Avoiding a long story - I think I'll be able to apply again the spring of 2019 when I'm 34. 

I have six years of K12 teaching experience (English), an MA in rhet/comp with teaching experience, and now teaching experience at the community college level. My GRE scores will expire by then, but I feel like I can get back to those scores (165 verbal, 151 quant, 6.0 writing). 

Since I'll be teaching most likely K12 and not connected to a university, what can I do to boost the quality of my application? How hard is it to find valuable publishing opportunities while a K12 teacher? Should I volunteer somewhere? 

Any advice is appreciated. I don't want this dream to die. 

If you can secure some kind of IRB approval to conduct an action research project that would be fabulous. I'm not sure what area you are interested in, but start generating research questions now, especially when your interaction with students and schools will most-likely aid in their generation.

You don't *need* a PhD to conduct research--the training helps, but if you have the drive and the aptitude, no reason to wait! You just need to make sure you are careful with regards to human subjects.

Can you describe a little more what it is you want? Are you looking for a Ph.D? Ed.D? What sub-field in education (higher ed? Curriculum and instruction? School leadership? Assessment/educational measurement?).

I think a lot of the advice will be dependent on the path you want to take, and what your dreams really are. If you can articulate those a little more, it may help clarify some of the advice you get.