Art History/Visual Studies Programs for studying Animation

mollicles

Hey guys! New to the boards! 

I m currently an MA student looking to apply for Ph.D. programs fro the 2018/2019 academic year. I am currently getting an MA in Art History focusing on critical theory, mostly relating to the exclusion of animation from the art historical canon. I am hoping to continue this project and working with animation, particularly Disney, in a Ph.D program, but I am having trouble with programs that may be open to this. I have been looking at visual studies programs as well, which may be more flexible with my desired area of study. I just have no idea where to start, what programs would even potentially be a good fit for me, and if there are academics out there that may be a good fit for an advisor. Any ideas would be super helpful!

Thanks! 

This is a visual culture topic, in the same vein as game design. Look for state systems that have a strong "new" ethos (for example open to dissertations written as "auto-ethnographies", such as the University of California nexus of campuses. Canada is also on the forefront of visual culture PhDs.