Jump to content

analog_e

Members
  • Posts

    63
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    11

Everything posted by analog_e

  1. If either of you have questions about Roanoke, feel free to DM, it's basically my hometown and I'm well acquainted with Hollins. A lot has changed since I left, but a lot is very much the same. Lack of walkability, meh transit, no culture. Also a revitalized downtown (that is not close to campus at all), persistent tho small DIY scene, lots of great hiking nearby. I've been in the building Hollins uses for creative writing and it's not particularly impressive but it is cute and cozy and the campus is small but beautiful.
  2. Yeah, Brown funds all their candidates equally
  3. all anyone on Draft is going off is that post here, and given the record of Brown clustering everything together it seems pr damn unlikely that one random person got an acceptance over a week ago and it's been silence since
  4. 🤎🟤🟫🕯️🟫🟤🤎
  5. I'm really struggling with the wait for Brown. It was alright when I had accepted the soft rejection but now that I have hope again? Brother, come on~
  6. as someone who enjoys being able to wear a kuffiyeh without having my degree revoked, Columbia is never going to be the right option for me (plus funding is my number one sticking point when investigating a program), but I am sure it's right for some people. 60-70 is *wild* tho.
  7. as someone who lowkey wants to stay nestled within academia forever, the longer the better, but most of the programs I plan to apply to if I don't get into my one and only this time around are 2 years because location and funding are ultimately way more of a consideration. I need to stay reasonably close to Virginia, as in not venturing past Michigan or Rhode Island, the city needs to have fairly strong public transportation or be walkable, and I need to be able to afford life there. Prestige is the next factor, but that tends to be sorted out by the funding anyway. Then whether the program seems like a good fit for me as an artist. After all that, I can begin worrying about how long the program is.
  8. I've been told my writing is for people with graduate degrees, though I don't know how true that really is. It's really pretty readable, even if a little difficult at times. I think a lot about what DFW said in an interview about seeing Blue Velvet breaking him out of being an avant-gardist and just comfortably finding his voice as something distinct. That's really all I'm playing at. The intention is never to be difficult, just to express something how it needs to be expressed. I didn't start writing poetry until this year because of workshop at UVA with Lisa Spaar, whom I adore. It's been a fun process, and I have written some quality prose poetry, but the lined stuff is mostly a little wanting still even if one of them got into the UVA lit mag. I'm hoping to get it to the point where I feel comfortable enough to apply for poetry and fiction next year, because as far as workshops are concerned, I find it much easier to give critical feedback and insight on poems.
  9. Things I write well: Complex novels Poetry Things I do not write well: short fiction that isn't just ostensibly a prose poem and really works better being judged as poetry I hate writing short fiction idk what it is
  10. thank you! It's amazing how much better one becomes at turning in high quality work on time after quitting the hard drugs and taking the right legal ones this is even more reassuring-I figured it would at least matter a bit, but I feel very confident in the quality of my sample even if it is the middle of a novel
  11. Symposium is where I found the Deleuze and Alan Silva! Alongside like five other books. I really appreciate that update on acceptances, it gives me some measure of hope that it's not too late, even if I do figure this year was too egregious a longshot (I applied with a 2.4 GPA 😅...it is now a 3.2 but the committee does not know that)
  12. Well, I am back from Providence. What a lovely little city-I was stopping every block to marvel at the Queen Anne homes, the skyline is small but so pronounced in its design, it just feels so definitively New England. The bookstores are unreal-I found Deleuze and an LP of Alan Silva's Luna Surface in the same little shop downtown, and Weird Providence in The Arcade sells Michael Cisco and The King in Yellow across from Pynchon. I have what may be a new favorite tattoo, if I can be said to have a favorite from among my tattoos. But, most importantly, Brown was marvelous. What a gorgeous campus. I can't say whether I prefer it to UVA because they are radically different and UVA has ostensibly been my home for so long, but I was immediately obsessed. I do not even care that I didn't get in, because I knew I wouldn't with my transcript in the state it had been in, I just feel doubly confident in my effort to get in next year. I can easily see myself having a content little life for a bit in Rhode Island. That said, on the eleven hour train ride home I did extensive research into other programs and have a list of 9 others I will also be applying to this time around rather than the ol' Brown or Bust mentality.
  13. I have made peace with not getting accepted to Brown and am moving on with my day by enjoying the animatronics at Stew Leonard's. Their songs of fruit and eggs soothe my wounded spirit.
  14. I've never been more tense 😬
  15. Most of my impression of Brown is based on talking to people who went there for undergrad, my fiddle instructor whose brother and sister in law both work for Brown, and going thru interviews with folks. The overall impression I've gotten is that they just sort of let you take your approach, whether that's experimental or traditional, and don't really try to enforce a house style. That's the most important facet in choosing an MFA for me—I don't want to be wormed into writing the much maligned "MFA fiction" people speak of. Granted, this is all based on secondary or tertiary information and I have never been to Brown. I'm on a train to Providence right now because I figured I should go somewhere for spring break and why not tour the campus at least and engage in some tattoo tourism. I'm sure you're right that it's very cohort dependent but I'm not sure how I could prepare and investigate more than I have already whether the program might be a good fit for me.
  16. I can't imagine Brown wouldn't allow me to do just about whatever I want, but I do need to explore other programs. I have a feeling I won't get in this year because my admission banks on a narrative of redemption/resurgence, how I came out of addiction to graduate from UVA, and when I applied I hadn't really proven that yet—I still very much had my cocaine GPA on my transcript. Everything looks way better now and I've made straight As but they don't know that. I decided to try my chances and just apply to Brown and see what happens figuring it's a no go, with next season being my actual serious "I think I can do this" effort. Who knows, though, I have amazing recommendation letters, an incredible SOP, and a strong writing sample. It could be enough!
  17. I've been obsessively writing poetry to keep my mind occupied. I just finished a decent little lyric sequence of poems centered around fine art and art school dropouts. They're all prose poems, but very much poems, which is an odd affectation for me as someone who mostly writes long form fiction. But I think I have a knack for it and I have enjoyed my poetry courses with Lisa a fair bit more than I enjoyed writing short fiction. It leaves me wondering whether perhaps not getting into Brown Fiction will be such a negative, because it opens the possibility of applying to Brown for poetry next year (and this time being wise and applying to some safety schools >_<)
  18. UVA finished their MFA review last night according to my insider info, so expect it soon
  19. Not necessarily—I listened to a podcast with one of their poetry candidates and he said most of his peers write within convention. I think the opportunities for experimentation are just more present.
  20. I'm single-mindedly obsessed with going to Brown because of their reputation for limitlessness and experimentation. I just feel like it's the program for weirdos, and I fall firmly in the weirdo camp.
  21. I've been writing poetry and reading Infinite Jest and playing fiddle relentlessly on top of midterm assignments trying to keep my mind occupied and it's not working 😭 Brother, I just want to know...why is the only program to which I applied one of the last to notify
  22. 🕯️ 🕯️ 🕯️ 🕯️ 🕯️ 🕯️ Brown Acceptance 🕯️ 🕯️ 🕯️ 🕯️ 🕯️ 🕯️
  23. My SOP is pretty out there but also very specifically tailored to Brown. Hopefully it'll work. I had to explain my cocaine GPA and having dropped out of uni four times and feel like I did so in a pretty creative fashion. We'll see what happens!
  24. Just want to plug UVA to any who might get accepted: Lisa Spaar is really lovely if you're applying for poetry. I have taken two courses with her and they sold me on this MFA thing. Also had a fiction course with Jane Alison and she had some tremendous insight on my work. It's such an active, supportive department. Also there is so much to do in Charlottesville for a city of its size. Plentiful amazing food, lots of local music, good theaters, and a bustling Irish trad scene. Highly recommend it. I would have applied if they accepted their own undergrads. I am a little less panicked on what to do if I don't get into Brown, as I just scored a contract alongside a friend of mine to score a video game, which is exciting and pays pretty well, got invited to be part of the band for a Ceili, and one of my poems was selected for V Mag. I think I can make a gap year productive. Would definitely prefer to get into Brown, though.
  25. Still waiting on my one program... I'm worried I'll be in Providence walking around the Brown campus when the email to check the portal for rejection comes thru since some friends and I decided to spend Spring break there
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use