Jump to content

HalBear

Members
  • Posts

    36
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    3

Everything posted by HalBear

  1. So I have lost most of my positivity haha. Honestly just feels better to assume all bad news and then I might be pleasantly surprised
  2. My MFA portal says this "Your application has been reviewed by your academic department and a recommendation has been made to the Graduate Admissions Office. The Graduate Admissions Office will complete the final review of your application and will post a final decision letter on this Status Page. Please continue monitoring your Application Status Page for updates. You will be notified by email when an update has been made to your application." Very frustrating haha. I am like just tell me....PLEASE.
  3. Do we think Alabama has notified only Creative Nonfiction? I was surprised to see only one acceptance from them when they usually accept a large cohort.
  4. This is lowkey torturous. the WAITING.....
  5. This is assuming all acceptances, I'd guess an interview request notificiation first from Rutgers Newark. For UT Austin, I wasn't sure if you meant their Michener program or New Writer's Project, but Michener would be next up on your list for an acceptance. Iowa and Michigan and Rutgers Newark acceptances would be later in February. Looks like Brown and UTK are the last notifs with possibly hearing back in early March.
  6. Hello Theo, So I have a few thoughts here. First I want to tell you that I was waitlisted at two schools my first year applying to programs and my recommendation letters were from an English professsor, a History professor, and my college soccer coach (I played DIII soccer for four years in undergrad). I've heard throughout this process that recommendations don't carry a ton of weight. As I understand, they are really are just a requirement for the general grad school to admit you rather than a requirement by the creative writing program. I have the exact same recommenders this year and hope for some success because my writing sample and statement of purpose are MUCH better, which I've been led to believe is what really matters to the schools. I want to address your questions of the "actual chance" of getting into a school. While I did not apply in either season to Iowa, Brown, Amherst, and Ohio (so others can speak to those programs), I believe that for most fully-funded schools, the "chance" of getting in for anyone is incredibly low. Someone shared some statistics on the Facebook MFA Draft that the odds of being accepted into these programs are lower than being admitted to med school. I really don't say this to be negative because everyone here is facing this reality... I think that what makes us unique is that we apply despite this low chance. And even if it is a "low chance," it is an actual chance. I really hate numbers so I have ignored the stats and put my whole heart into these applications just to pursue that small %. It sounds like you have some really successful work with collections published and some award success, which I believe makes you more than qualified. (I have no awards or publications). There are many people here with backgrounds (ex. different specialties, poor grades in undergrad, gap year after gap year, health journeys) that have found success in these applications. I really would encourage you and everyone on this platform to keep pushing through despite the odds. Please run down this path and see where it leads you. Hope this helps, I believe in you!
  7. Hello all, There are two lovely applicants I've been communicating with on facebook who cannot figure out how to access replying and posting on this forum. I've tried to help them but I don't know much about Gradcafe's system. They have accounts but just don't seem to be able to contribute to this forum? They don't even have access to the "Quote" button or the "reply to this topic" button. They've logged in and out again, finished setting up their accounts, and still don't have access.. Anyone here figure out how to get over this hump
  8. I really just have something so funny to say and I think you all can relate. I've reread my application writing sample multiple times and there are days where I just want to crawl into a hole and never come out because I just think it is so horrible and childish and immature. Then there are days (like today) where I think to myself that there's no way that I get rejected because I have talent and my work is intelligent and nuanced. I don't know which feeling will appear until I get to the document. Am I insane.
  9. Use the search feature in the facebook group and look up "Notification" and the post with the title "2026 MFA DRAFT NOTIFICATIONS" should pop up. The sheet is in the first comment of the posting.
  10. On Facebook, search the Group name "MFA Draft '26" and request to join!
  11. From my understanding, it is not historically prestigious, but it is on the way to that designation. I think tje accessibility of the first round encourages more writers to apply, but their cohort is one of the smallest in the country. They only take 5 writers an application season. I think this year they are accepting 3 fiction writers and 2 poets. It has a miniscule acceptance rate which in a way can give rise to "prestige." Their recent alums have been wildly successful and their faculty is quite talented. Whoever ends up in this program will be very lucky
  12. I believe last year the Spreadsheet was posted around January 5th! I expect it any day now.
  13. It was good news, I hope it was for you too!!
  14. I heard back last night! I was wondering when it was coming, haha!!
  15. Has anyone heard results from Round 1 for Tennessee's MFA?
  16. Oh my gosh, I am speechless for you. This is incredibly discouraging and frustrating from a professor that (I assume) you looked up to. In my experience, I have only asked undergrad professors that I trusted to write on my behalf. This professor broke the trust between the two of you by sharing your transcripts and that is unfair and inconsiderate. I really do believe that MFAs care mostly about your writing sample and statement of purpose. I can't imagine transcripts play any large role.. I was waitlisted multiple places last year with only two Workshops on my transcript. I have a bachelor's in History. I can't speak for other applicants experiences but I do know that in the Facebook MFA Draft '26 Group, there have been many discussions on how to explain poor grades in undergrad and how to address a switch in educational path. One of the admins in that group has even mentioned that they studied neuroscience in undergrad.. They are now pursuing a PHD in Creative Writing. I hope this gives you some reassurance and I encourage you to join the MFA Draft '26 on facebook and read these posts to flesh out my brief paraphrasing haha. I am angry for you about this email. This professor could've simply turned down your request and encouraged that you pursue your new path. I am not sure why they would respond this way. I am so sorry that you received this. PLEASE do not feel discouraged. Continue to move forward with your process and apply!! Shoot your shot! I am rooting for you! :)
  17. Y'all, I am crying in my cubicle at work. WAITLISTED AT UTK.
  18. It is my understanding that all acceptances have gone out. My portal still says "Awaiting Decision" though. So I think, Waitlists and rejections haven't been sent out. My little sister is in undergrad there, and spring break is next week. It is my hope that they will notify before thier spring break haha! I am hoping for a waitlist!!
  19. On the spreadsheet, there are only acceptances for University Kentucky Poetry! I hope this helps!
  20. I see a rejection on GradCafe's results tabs for Tennesee for Poetry.. The spreadsheet doesn't have the same data. My portal still says "Awaiting Decision." Should I get my hopes up.. or consider that one rejection as false data? Tennessee is the last school that I am waiting on so my anxiety is at an all time high.. Would love someone to talk to about this 🌹
  21. I don't believe they have sent notifications! I am surprised, as they started notifying as early as 2/19 last year! My portal still says"Awaiting Decision." Hopefully we hear soon! Good luck!
  22. I got my first Waitlist from GCSU! I really needed some good news cause I was starting to feel sad haha!!
  23. Y'all this waiting is starting to be painful. But the wise words of Billy Joel are helping me through.. "You can't be everything you wanna be before your time."
  24. Everything bagel, I am so excited for you! You have been so positive in this chat and encouraging so I am glad to see good news coming your way
  25. nauseated! I feel the same way. I applied to 3. Hard rejection from 1 of them. I have started making plans for a fall without a MFA. I will be pleasantly surprised if I get into 1 of the other 2. I hope for amazing news for you. Keep writing! Keep creating!!
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use