Jump to content

DiegoFMarino

Members
  • Posts

    1
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by DiegoFMarino

  1. I’m writing this to ask for perspective from people who have gone through a path that was not linear, not fast, and not “textbook-perfect.” I’m aware that the job market today is very different from what it was in the past, and that in five years it will likely look different again. Because of this, I’m not looking for precise predictions or guarantees. What I’m most interested in is understanding the mindset of people who made similar choices, how they reasoned about them at the time, and how they judge those decisions in hindsight. In particular, I’d really like to hear from people who: were not “model students,” but rather average students with a genuine interest in their subject, followed non-linear or delayed academic paths, possibly with setbacks or detours, changed direction later than expected (for example, working first and then returning to school), or had to (re)enter the job market in their mid-30s, whether in academia or industry. Do you regret any choices you made? What advice would you give your past self at that stage? Is there a different path you now think you should have taken, or did things make sense given the information you had at the time? My background (for context) I have never been a top or “brilliant” student. My academic path has been slower and less linear than average: BSc in Mathematics, completed in 4 years instead of the nominal 3 (EU system) MSc in Applied Mathematics / Mathematical Engineering, completed in 3 years instead of 2 Stopped almost 1 year because of COVID and family problems About 1.5 years of work experience in a sector that was stable but not aligned with what I wanted to do long-term About to start a fully funded PhD in Mathematics / Computer Science, expected duration 3–4 years During my BSc and MSc, I focused mainly on studying what I liked. I didn’t think much about long-term outcomes or career optimization. At the time, the mindset was simply: I enjoy this subject, I’ll figure things out later. Now that I’m almost 29 and about to commit to a PhD, a multi-year project that I would finish at around 32–33, that approach no longer feels sufficient. At the moment, I (perhaps fortunately) have no immediate external constraints: no spouse, no children, no debt, no major financial obligations. I am choosing to pursue this PhD primarily because I’m interested in the research topic and because it seems to open doors that are otherwise closed to me. But of course I am not rich, I don't have parents that can support me indefinetely, hence my worries about what comes after. Why I’m doing the PhD Since this often becomes a point of discussion, I’ll state my motivations clearly: I genuinely like the research topic I’ll be working on I miss advanced mathematics and technically challenging, intellectually demanding work The roles I am interested in typically require either a PhD or an MSc plus relevant experience, experience I cannot realistically gain in my current position I do not currently plan to remain in academia indefinitely, although I’m open to how interests and opportunities may evolve I expect the next few years to be intellectually rewarding. My doubts are not about the PhD itself, but about how this choice fits into a longer life and career trajectory. Questions I keep coming back to Looking mostly at STEM paths (but I welcome any experience), I find myself wondering: How did you think about entering the job market after finishing later than average? Did age or perceived overqualification turn out to be a real issue in practice, or was it mostly a theoretical concern? What expectations about careers, timelines, or opportunities turned out to be wrong, either overly pessimistic or overly optimistic? When re-entering the job market in your 30s, did age actually matter, or did other factors dominate (skills, network, focus, narrative)? In hindsight, what would you have paid more attention to, and what worries turned out to be largely irrelevant? What I’m hoping to get from this discussion I’m not looking for reassurance, motivational speeches, or worst-case scenarios. I’m also not looking for “it all works out” or “don’t do it” answers. What I’m really hoping for are: honest stories, imperfect paths, lessons learned the hard way, and advice you wish someone had given you when you were making similar decisions. Even brief or incomplete experiences are very welcome. Thank you to anyone willing to share their perspective, I genuinely appreciate it.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use