Jump to content

cantoras

Members
  • Posts

    8
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by cantoras

  1. been rooting for you, guppy! congrats!
  2. thank you for these words. you’ve summarized this process perfectly. waitlists feel like holding onto barbed wire fence, peering at an experience that you can almost taste for yourself. so close, yet so far. wishing you luck and good vibes in your journey. MFAs don’t make writers; translating this human experience into language does. we got this!
  3. they did! it was a super kind email, but still stings
  4. not sure this cycle is going to work for me. I was rejected off one waitlist today and waiting for another one that seems unlikely (it's a fully-funded & 3 fiction-writer cohort). feeling super demoralized. it was my first time applying, but I grinded so hard and dread the thought of having to do this again in the Fall--specifically asking for more LORs & dropping a shit ton of money on app fees. alas, would any of yall offer advice for people considering applying again next cycle? something more specific than “make your sample better” please! I’m interested in how folks approach language that pushes plot, invent characters that feel like you remember them from life on the page, strengthen dialogue, write sentences with rhythm, etc. congratulations to those that got in! if any of you is willing to share what you feel moved hearts/set fireworks off in your own samples (from a craft lens, not content), I'd really appreciate it.
  5. would you mind sharing which genre?
  6. the only good news I've gotten so far is an interview at a school I'd really love going to... does anyone have tips for an interview at a fiction program? I've searched the Draft page but can't seem to find info relevant for fiction interviews.
  7. someone on another Grad Cafe forum said that Iowa called East Coast acceptances earlier this morning
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use