Jump to content

AustWriter

Members
  • Posts

    9
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by AustWriter

  1. Not shouting into the void at all! I’ve had a very different cycle to you but agree with pretty much everything you’ve said - and I think a key takeaway for all to remember is the balance of cohorts! Your (universal your!) writing could be exceptional but just not fit the cohort/vibe. Have the best time heading to wherever you’re heading! ♥️
  2. I declined due to funding. I’m an international student and given the enormous limitations on working rights for international students, coupled with the high cost of living etc in NYC, the offer for half tuition was kind but not going to cut it. If I had the savings, I’d happily sink them…but the half offer meant I’d be sinking my savings AND going into pretty significant debt. If you’re off to NYU this year - have a bloody ball, for you and for me! If you’re waiting on a waitlist outcome from them, I can say that I’ve found them genuinely lovely and helpful via email so maybe reach out? Now, forgive me for getting a tiny bit soapboxy…but to all who are hurting, who feel like they’re not a writer because they got rejected or waitlisted, who are struggling with outcomes and motivation etc: 1) Have a look at Caro Claire Burke’s latest Insta post. She is the author of this year’s ’hottest’ debut (heads up - haven’t read it, don’t know much about her - a friend shared her post with me as motivation!) and has shared screenshots of so many of her rejections over the past decade. She’s now got a multi book deal and a film adaptation of her novel in the works with Anne Hathaway on board. I’m not saying we all want to write her kind of stories or be the kind of novelist she is…I’m saying that…team, we get knocked down, we get right back up again! 2) Think of your ten fave authors. Now look at the programs you’ve applied for, and picture these same authors applying. In most cases, save a few, you have to knock half or a quarter of these authors out of contention. Does that make them bad writers? Nope! These programs are damn competitive. You’ve done better than most just by applying. 3) Many successful authors who have completed MFA’s also did not get in on their first try, or their second 4) An MFA doesn’t make you a writer. Writing makes you a writer. Wishing you all nothing but luck and the very best for all that’s to come. I’m looking forward to reading and spruiking your books and stories and poems - whether you wrote them by way of an MFA, or otherwise!
  3. Not sure what stream you’re after, but I just (very sadly) declined my fiction offer…so there should be some movement there soon!
  4. Funding package info for NYU is starting to come through, for those waiting!
  5. Congrats! I got accepted into fiction yesterday and was notified that the funding package would be sent through with the official offer letter within the week. Perhaps it’s the same for nonfiction? If you’re now stressing like mad about funding, know that you’re not alone. I’m right there with you. For now, enjoy the win and confidence boost of just getting in. Congrats again!
  6. Just an update for those waiting for NYU (Fiction), I just got an acceptance email. I thought they'd probably hold off on emails for a few days given AWP, so heads up if you're still waiting My fingers are crossed for you all!
  7. I appreciate the response, thank you so much. Sorry about the R, and apologies if my message prompted you to check. Better things are heading your way, good luck with the pending 7!
  8. Also waiting on NYU, though hopes are dwindling. I'm genuinely panicked at this stage that I've somehow withdrawn my application just by checking it so much! The nice part about being in Australia is that much of the movement happens during my night, so I can sleep through the stressful part and just do a quick check in the morning.
  9. Hi all, Long-time lurker, first time poster! Apologies for jumping in with questions straight off the bat, however I'm not on facebook and can't see Draft! If anyone can help I'd be hugely appreciative, no worries if not. Have all Syracuse waitlists and fiction offers gone out? And, furthermore (and this is more specific to international applicants), has anyone had experience with being asked for financial support? I assume yes to the offers and waitlists, but in terms of the financial support part...I've just checked my portal for the first time in a few weeks and noticed that an additional part seems to have been added at the bottom of mine, requesting proof of financial support. I say seems because there's every chance it's been there the whole time and I've missed it, though I am also pretty certain that I've just about memorised that page and I don't recall seeing this before today. I am an international applicant and proof of financial support is a requirement listed on the application page, though not listed on the application itself. This is the first time I've had the opportunity to upload it and I'm just a bit confused. Thanks in advance for your help and again, no worries if you can't/have no idea! On a complete side-note - reading through this forum over the past few weeks has been a particularly wonderful reminder of how spectacularly supportive a writing community can be. I'm rooting for you all, whether your path to publication is via MFA or otherwise!
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use