Jump to content

DustinGilbert

Members
  • Posts

    2
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    1

Everything posted by DustinGilbert

  1. University of Tennessee, Knoxville | Fall 2026 Start I recently received late-notice NSF funding to investigate heterostructures of topological materials using neutron scattering, transport measurements, and NMR, and I am looking for a PhD student to join my group this fall. I highly value collaboration and scientific breadth. This would be your primary project to lead, with substantial freedom to help shape its direction, but you would also have opportunities to participate in other projects across the group. We are well past the normal admissions window, but I have been told I am able to arrange admission for Fall 2026 for the right candidate. Applicants must meet the University of Tennessee’s graduate admissions requirements, and we would need to determine that the student is a good fit for both the project and the lab. Because this is an experimental research position, the student must be willing to relocate to Knoxville, Tennessee, and work primarily in person. Due to export-control restrictions associated with portions of our research program, applicants for this position must currently be U.S. citizens. I apologize for the limitation. I am an associate professor in Materials Science and Engineering at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. My group investigates nanomaterials at the intersection of materials science and condensed-matter physics; I am a physicist by training. We are a vertically integrated experimental laboratory, performing materials synthesis, measurements of functional properties such as magnetometry, electrical transport, and thermography, and advanced characterization using neutron and X-ray scattering. Students in the group develop a broad experimental skill set and work closely with collaborators and national user facilities. Former students from the group have gone on to positions at Intel, Western Digital, Northrop Grumman, the Air Force Research Laboratory, and Lam Research, so I believe we do a good job preparing students for both industrial and research careers. Interested candidates should send me a brief email ([email protected]) introducing themselves, along with a CV or résumé, an unofficial transcript, and a short description of their research interests and experimental experience. The position includes a research assistantship with tuition support and a graduate stipend.
  2. University of Tennessee, Knoxville | Fall 2026 Start I recently received late-notice NSF funding to investigate heterostructures of topological materials using neutron scattering, transport measurements, and NMR, and I am looking for a PhD student to join my group this fall. I highly value collaboration and scientific breadth. This would be your primary project to lead, with substantial freedom to help shape its direction, but you would also have opportunities to participate in other projects across the group. We are well past the normal admissions window, but I have been told I am able to arrange admission for Fall 2026 for the right candidate. Applicants must meet the University of Tennessee’s graduate admissions requirements, and we would need to determine that the student is a good fit for both the project and the lab. Because this is an experimental research position, the student must be willing to relocate to Knoxville, Tennessee, and work primarily in person. Due to export-control restrictions associated with portions of our research program, applicants for this position must currently be U.S. citizens. I apologize for the limitation. I am an associate professor in Materials Science and Engineering at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. My group investigates nanomaterials at the intersection of materials science and condensed-matter physics; I am a physicist by training. We are a vertically integrated experimental laboratory, performing materials synthesis, measurements of functional properties such as magnetometry, electrical transport, and thermography, and advanced characterization using neutron and X-ray scattering. Students in the group develop a broad experimental skill set and work closely with collaborators and national user facilities. Former students from the group have gone on to positions at Intel, Western Digital, Northrop Grumman, the Air Force Research Laboratory, and Lam Research, so I believe we do a good job preparing students for both industrial and research careers. Interested candidates should send me a brief email ([email protected]) introducing themselves, along with a CV or résumé, an unofficial transcript, and a short description of their research interests and experimental experience. The position includes a research assistantship with tuition support and a graduate stipend.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use