Waitlisted Pending Funding

Benefit

Hey everyone, 

I saw on the results page from previous years that for one of the universities I applied to, many of the applicants got waitlisted pending the results of their external funding applications. I was wondering if this was common practice? 

This is definitely adding to my anxiety over this university, as I was unable to apply for any external funding for here (I had a limit of five schools). 

Let me know your thoughts. 

Thanks. 

It sounds like you're Canadian, but correct me if I'm wrong. 

It really depends on the school. Some schools fund their students from departmental or university money, while others require supervisors to fund their students using grants. External funding tends to be more of an issue for schools in the latter category, since faculty might be waiting on grant results and unsure of their financial situation. In that case, a student with their own funding will be more appealing. I don't think this tends to happen at schools where, for example, everyone is funded through TAships. 

I'm guessing you had to disclose whether you applied for funding on your application, so your POI knows that you didn't apply for external funding there. If they decide to interview you anyway then I wouldn't worry about it. They won't interview anyone that they know they might not be able to afford.