Recommendations on where I should go?

joops

Hi everyone,

I have recently decided that I want to go to graduate school for linguistics. I would be okay with an MA program, but I would rather head straight to a PhD. No one else I know is applying, and my professors can't help me very much, so I'm not sure where I should apply. Here are my stats:

Undergrad: Unknown but good school, sociology major

GPA: 3.7 GPA in relevant courses: 3.84. Relevant courses are: sociolinguistics, linguistics field methods, linguistic analysis, language and culture, 4 Spanish classes, statistics, social research

GRE: I haven't taken them, but I will probably get around 600 for the math part, 660 for the reading comprehension part and 4 on the writing section

Research: I haven't done a directed study, but I have done two research projects for classes (both in sociology) and designed a linguistics study (but did not carry it out.)

Letters of recommendation: 1 from my linguistics professor and then 2 more from sociology professors

So, given my stats, could someone recommend a couple of places where I have a decent shot at getting in? Also, if you know of any schools where I would likely get in, I would love to know. This is not a "chance me!" thread, but given the lack of information on linguistics grad schools, I need some direction from this forum. Thank you in advance!

Hi,

It would be more useful to know your interests -- do you want to do theoretical linguistics? sociolinguistics? work on a specific language? something else?

Once you know what you want to do and find some programs with people doing work that interests you, that'd be a better time to think about your stats and your chances at getting in. Even so, the fit with the program probably plays a bigger role in admissions (moreso in linguistics than in some other fields, perhaps) than does having a specific background and GRE/GPA.

Hi,

It would be more useful to know your interests -- do you want to do theoretical linguistics? sociolinguistics? work on a specific language? something else?

Once you know what you want to do and find some programs with people doing work that interests you, that'd be a better time to think about your stats and your chances at getting in. Even so, the fit with the program probably plays a bigger role in admissions (moreso in linguistics than in some other fields, perhaps) than does having a specific background and GRE/GPA.

I am most interested in sociolinguistics. As for research, I would want to carry out a study using Labov's paradigm. To be more specific, I want to examine how certain features (g-dropping, post-vocalic r deletion, etc) correlate with factors such as age, class, race, gender and other variables. If not sociolinguistics, I would also be interested in historical linguistics (specifically, how AAVE evolved to become what it is today) or language acquisition (examining the critical period hypothesis).

Would I be correct in assuming that graduate school admissions committees assess how good of a fit I am by looking over my statement of purpose/writing sample?

Thank you for your help.

I am most interested in sociolinguistics. As for research, I would want to carry out a study using Labov's paradigm. To be more specific, I want to examine how certain features (g-dropping, post-vocalic r deletion, etc) correlate with factors such as age, class, race, gender and other variables. If not sociolinguistics, I would also be interested in historical linguistics (specifically, how AAVE evolved to become what it is today) or language acquisition (examining the critical period hypothesis).

Would I be correct in assuming that graduate school admissions committees assess how good of a fit I am by looking over my statement of purpose/writing sample?

Thank you for your help.

Cool. If I were you, I'd start looking through journals for articles that interest you and then looking up the websites of the departments where their authors teach. I think it would be a good idea to find a mix of PhD and terminal MA programs that appeal to you so that you'd have the best shot at getting in somewhere. Doing an MA first can help you narrow down your interests, get you more research experience and a better writing sample, and get you good letters of recommendation. Plus, if you do an MA, your professors there would probably have a lot of advice about where to apply for your PhD. But going straight to PhD is also nice, and easier to get funding for.

The other problem is that there aren't that many MA programs in linguistics, it seems. Your interests reminded me of a friend who does sociolinguistics at South Carolina (http://www.cas.sc.edu/ling/grad/ma.html). She was doing an MA when I met her, but has since applied to continue on to the PhD program there, so that is another option besides doing an MA and then reapplying for PhDs in other schools.

Someone on the results search recently mentioned getting into Georgia for historical linguistics (http://www.linguistics.uga.edu/) and their program sounds like it might have the kinds of things you're interested in.

Not that you necessarily have to go to the deep south :) but those are the two programs I know of that you might look into. Dig around their websites to find faculty who do the kind of work you like, then look to see where they did their PhDs and look at the websites of those departments, and so on. Hopefully someone else on the board will be able to come up with some more programs that might suit you.

And, as I understand it, fit is mostly determined through the SOP and writing sample, but you can also email professors you'd like to work with before you apply so they might keep an eye out for you application, and your letter writers might be able to mention something about your interests or suitability for a particular program. Your history of classes you took in undergrad might provide some insights as to your interests as well. But mostly SOP, they say.

Edited by pangor-ban

hi!

i don't know tons about sociolinguistics, but a few schools come to mind based on your interests. uc santa barbara was recommended to me by an anthropological linguist for fieldwork and sociocultural linguistics - she also said that they have a good placement rate. i think, but am not totally sure, that they have a history of admitting non-linguistics-major students too. this is a bonus if you are a non-ling major - i think a lot of well known programs will not really consider applicants that don't have at least a basic understanding of the core theoretical areas (syntax, semantics, phonology).

maybe also look into uc berkeley... i think they have traditionally been known for historical linguistics and they also do socio, although it might be harder to get in there. georgetown might also be a good fit for you. for lang acquisition/critical period, i think rachel mayberry at UCSD does work on that. they also have a history of admitting non-ling students, and they have a great program, but i don't know if they do much socioling.

if you are going to get an MA first note that none of your coursework will transfer over! you have to redo it all usually when you get into a phd program. also i don't think the MA programs are always funded, though i could be wrong. on the plus side, it could help you get into a more highly ranked program, get some more research under your belt, etc, so that's a plus.

hope this helps! good luck :)

Edited by snarky

Thank you for your help.

I am also doing Sociolinguistics, and just went through the application process this year. If your interests in socio are mostly in variation studies (as it sounds), I would recommend University of Michigan, University of Pennsylvania, University of Toronto, Stanford, UC Santa Barbara, and maybe a few others.

It is true that some of the biggest factors are your statement of purpose and writing sample. Some other things to consider are how well your interests compliment potential advisors and other students at a particular program as well - a program that only has one professor that you work with is not going to be as strong a fit as a program that has several people with whom you can collaborate and work with.

Just a few things to consider. If you're planning to apply next year, you still have time to work on other research, visit schools that interest you, etc. I also agree that finding articles that interest you and contacting the professors and schools where they came from is also going to be helpful for honing in on your interests and directions of study.

Good luck!

I have very little to add to the great advice above, but I just wanted to say hello and welcome! (Despite my name, I'm also a socio/historical linguist, though I'm more interested in syntactic/semantic than phonological change.)

A good strategy when looking at a particular school is to scan the list of its linguistics-department's faculty-members and their respective interests in order to get a feel for the types of research going on there.

for lang acquisition/critical period, i think rachel mayberry at UCSD does work on that. they also have a history of admitting non-ling students, and they have a great program, but i don't know if they do much socioling.

I met Rachel Mayberry when I toured UCSD last spring; she's great, and is certainly interested in language-acquisition (albeit that primarily having to do with sign-languages). UCSD would be a good bet for you if you also have interests in cognitive science (including developmental aspects of language); they even have a concurrent Ph.D. program in linguistics and cog-sci.

I'm pretty biased because I'm Canadian and looking primarily at schools up here, but Toronto and McGill both have people doing sociolinguistics and language-acquisition.

I am also doing Sociolinguistics, and just went through the application process this year. If your interests in socio are mostly in variation studies (as it sounds), I would recommend University of Michigan, University of Pennsylvania, University of Toronto, Stanford, UC Santa Barbara, and maybe a few others.

It is true that some of the biggest factors are your statement of purpose and writing sample. Some other things to consider are how well your interests compliment potential advisors and other students at a particular program as well - a program that only has one professor that you work with is not going to be as strong a fit as a program that has several people with whom you can collaborate and work with.

Just a few things to consider. If you're planning to apply next year, you still have time to work on other research, visit schools that interest you, etc. I also agree that finding articles that interest you and contacting the professors and schools where they came from is also going to be helpful for honing in on your interests and directions of study.

Good luck!

And welcome to you as well, starfirerapture! w00t for sociolinguistics (and sociolinguists)!

Thank you so much for your reply. I do plan to apply to a mix of PhD and terminal MA programs. I hope to get into a PhD program because I'm afraid that if I get into an MA program I somehow won't be able to go on to get a PhD, but I feel like that's not a huge concern as long as I do well in the MA program.

I have begun to look at the specializations of professors and found a couple of programs I think would suit me. Silly question, but how would I go about emailing these professors? What would I say in the email? Sorry, I'm very new to this. Thank you for your help.

Cool. If I were you, I'd start looking through journals for articles that interest you and then looking up the websites of the departments where their authors teach. I think it would be a good idea to find a mix of PhD and terminal MA programs that appeal to you so that you'd have the best shot at getting in somewhere. Doing an MA first can help you narrow down your interests, get you more research experience and a better writing sample, and get you good letters of recommendation. Plus, if you do an MA, your professors there would probably have a lot of advice about where to apply for your PhD. But going straight to PhD is also nice, and easier to get funding for.

The other problem is that there aren't that many MA programs in linguistics, it seems. Your interests reminded me of a friend who does sociolinguistics at South Carolina (http://www.cas.sc.edu/ling/grad/ma.html). She was doing an MA when I met her, but has since applied to continue on to the PhD program there, so that is another option besides doing an MA and then reapplying for PhDs in other schools.

Someone on the results search recently mentioned getting into Georgia for historical linguistics (http://www.linguistics.uga.edu/) and their program sounds like it might have the kinds of things you're interested in.

Not that you necessarily have to go to the deep south :) but those are the two programs I know of that you might look into. Dig around their websites to find faculty who do the kind of work you like, then look to see where they did their PhDs and look at the websites of those departments, and so on. Hopefully someone else on the board will be able to come up with some more programs that might suit you.

And, as I understand it, fit is mostly determined through the SOP and writing sample, but you can also email professors you'd like to work with before you apply so they might keep an eye out for you application, and your letter writers might be able to mention something about your interests or suitability for a particular program. Your history of classes you took in undergrad might provide some insights as to your interests as well. But mostly SOP, they say.

Good luck!

Thank you for your advice. I would LOVE to go to University of Pennsylvania, as William Labov is a professor there. However, do you think given my stats I would have a decent chance at getting into the schools you mentioned? Also, I'm not sure what I would write in an email to a potential professor. Do you have any advice about that?

Thank you so much!

I don't know too much about sociolinguistics, but if you're still at school currently, your library probably subscribes to some journals that could be helpful in identifying research you would be interested in. I would recommend The Journal of Linguistic Anthropology, Journal of Sociolinguistics, and Language and Linguistics Compass. The last is the only one I've read, and I can recommend it highly. A few professors I respect enormously are on the editorial board.

As to e-mailing professors, I think a short, friendly self-introduction and a few questions about their current research would be fine. Make sure that you check out their websites first to make sure that you aren't asking anything obvious - maybe skim a few recent papers of theirs as well, then ask some specific questions. I'd suggest keeping it short. If they're interested in continuing the conversation, you can expand later.

When you actually start your applications, just remember that, as a non-ling BA, you'll have to make it really clear why you are interested in linguistics. To that end, you should probably read as much as you can now in order to prove that you really know what you're getting yourself into. Best of luck to you!

I know you said you would prefer to go straight to PhD, but if you were to consider starting with an MA and wanted to do socio, I would say go to NCSU (http://www.ncsu.edu/linguistics/). I graduated from this program (so yeah, I'm biased), and it is wonderful, to say the least! It's a really small program (there were 15 MA students there when I was), it's a relaxed environment where you can pursue your own interests (or join any of the existing research projects), daily interaction with profs, and lots of student collaboration. PM me if you want to know more!