University of Michigan Joint Program English and Education Ph.D.

libbyt

I emailed UM today, and, apparently,  admission decisions are being sent out late next week! I hope I've got a shot at getting in!

Here are my stats:

Undergrad (UCLA English BA) GPA: 3.0

Masters (DePaul University Writing and Publishing): 3.5

3 strong LORs from former colleagues and the Department Head where I'm currently teaching

I've taught writing courses at various schools in Chicago (DePaul University and the City Colleges of Chicago), was involved in the Civic Engagement Program at University of Chicago, currently teach at Grand Rapids Community College (English courses) and have also worked in a summer program at Calvin College (as a Rhetoric Coach), helped open a writing center while in Chicago while working at as a consultant there, helped develop various standardized tests and wrote study manuals for the Chicago Fire Department with an educational consulting company, did various projects at each school I've worked for to raise student retention rates and etc., and I've done tutoring outside of everything. 

Good luck to everyone applying to this program and all the other various programs! This is a stressful time of year for us all, and I'm glad I can vent/open up in this forum. 

5 hours ago, jamdyer22 said:

Woo! I'm applying too, though it seems like you're significantly more qualified than I am. Good luck! 

You really never know who they are looking for and what kind of fit someone can be in a department. I'd say it's fair game for everyone! Good luck to you! I hope we both get in. :)

• 2 weeks later...