My GRE score was a tad lower than what I needed

Henri F.

Hi everyone,

I took the GRE exam for the 4th time this week, and still have not been able to reach the score required to meet the score requested on some of my application apps. Schools at the top end of my scope request a GMAT score of 550 (though equivalent GRE scores are accepted as well). To meet the 550 GMAT standard, I calculated that I need to reach a score of 155 on both the verbal and quantitative reasoning. On my most recent GRE exam, I scored a 153 on the verbal, and a 151 on the quantitative section (not to mention, a predicted 4.5 on the essay, considering that I tend to score well on the essay portion). Needless to say, I am disappointed that I haven't been able to meet my 155 benchmark, but I may be willing to give the test one last attempt. I just have one simple question: is there any real point in taking the test again? I've signed up for the Magoosh GRE service, which has definitely improved my quantitative abilities. Will the schools I desire to submit my application simply toss my paperwork in the proverbial "round file" because I couldn't meet the 155 benchmark? 

Just to provide a little more background information, I am currently trying to enroll in a MBA program. I completed a bachelor of science degree in psychology with a 3.2 GPA this past year. 

Any advice would be appreciated!

Edited by Henri F.

• 3 weeks later...

Listen, I've taken the GRE three times (see attached photo or https://imgur.com/a/ULiIj) and here is what I can tell you: the GRE is a lot harder to game than the ACT. I improved from a 26 to a 31 on the ACT with a lot of studying. On the GRE, however, I have fluctuated from a 156-161 verbal, 165-166 quant, and a consistent writing score. Some days I just do better on reading (because I read material before hand to get into the reading mindset!!! this technique is truly helpful).

The only reason why I improved on quant, in my honest opinion, is because I fixed a mistake at the very very last second. No other reason, and I'm certain of that. I spent tons of time trying to isolate my weak areas. This is the only thing I can recommend that you do: find where you're weak, and practice there (but intermittently practice all other areas too).

I would recommend retaking the GRE, IF AND ONLY IF, you know you have a VERY strong application everywhere else. You can't make shit smell good. I.e. you can't get a good GRE score to make a bad SOP look good, to make no research experience look good, or to make no work experience look good (unless you get a damn-near perfect score). 

If you have a strong application everywhere else, then retake the GRE. Otherwise, lower your standards and aim for a school with a strong program and a decent name. (AKA rankings between 15-30). I'm EXACTLY in this position, unfortunately, so I know what I'm taking about.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the advice!

I took the GRE again today, and actually ended up with a lower score than what I received on my previous attempt (and now i'm just looking for feedback on my next steps). Should I just apply anyway? Or should I try the GMAT and study all over again?

At this point i'm just at a loss for why this is happening. I feel like i'm putting in the work, yet nothing seems to change. Although I'd like to sit around whining about how pointless this test is, I understand that it has merit. 

• 1 month later...

I want to start by saying I know how frustrating this is.  I also want to say that I am not getting an MBA but I am hoping this gives you a touch of hope on your own journey to grad school.  I applied to and got into my dream school.  One of the top 5 programs in the nation... with a math GRE score that was abysmal.  I not only did it not come anywhere near the schools admitted student average (up closer to 70%) , I placed in the bottom 15% of all math GRE test takers.  Honestly, I would apply.  If you don't get in you can retake the test or adjust your program expectations.   I imagine that if you have a strong essay and some quality experience, the admissions teams will consider those before a test score.   Good Luck!