CMU LTI - Open House??

nowhere

I'm in Pittsburgh right now for the open house, actually. I've met with six professors here so far and they all seem to be very guarded when asked about funding. It seems that in many past years people were assured of funding before the decision date, but that last year three of fourteen admitted masters students did not get funding before the end of the first semester. None of the faculty can really assure anyone this year of having funding ahead of time, it seems. Many are waiting on decisions on proposals they've submitted. There are so many faculty here though that it seems fairly unlikely that you would fail to find funding if you are flexible about which professor you want to work with.

I'm in Pittsburgh right now for the open house, actually. I've met with six professors here so far and they all seem to be very guarded when asked about funding. It seems that in many past years people were assured of funding before the decision date, but that last year three of fourteen admitted masters students did not get funding before the end of the first semester. None of the faculty can really assure anyone this year of having funding ahead of time, it seems. Many are waiting on decisions on proposals they've submitted. There are so many faculty here though that it seems fairly unlikely that you would fail to find funding if you are flexible about which professor you want to work with.

Thanks so much for the information. I am planning to join LTI. Have you decided yet?

Thanks so much for the information. I am planning to join LTI. Have you decided yet?

Nope, haven't decided. I'm leaving for Cornell's open house tomorrow and after that will start really thinking.

Nope, haven't decided. I'm leaving for Cornell's open house tomorrow and after that will start really thinking.

You would really take an unfunded Masters at CMU over a fully funded Cornell PhD admit?