Visit Weekend Interviews with Profs

singinglupines

I was just wondering what an interview with a professor during visit weekend comprises of. Should I prepare a list of questions and how broad of a range of topics can I ask about? I assume this is my chance to learn more about them, their research, and their lab.

Usually they will tell you a little bit about their research and ask you about your research. They will want to know your past experience as well as what you hope to get out of your experience for grad school. If they are looking for students in their lab, they would use the chance to get to know you and decide if they would like you to join the lab. Some profs will also offer to answer questions about the program itself, such as coursework and degree milestones etc. I say "some" because some profs are very good at keeping up to date on what is required of students while others have no clue and you may even get wrong answers from them (most of the ones that have no clue will at least admit they don't know).

You're right that it's your chance to learn about them, their research and their lab. I think most of the time, the prof takes the lead on the conversation but prepare enough to take the lead if the prof expects you to. Even if you already have an offer to join the department, it's still kind of an evaluation, on both parties. They might want to know if they would have you join their lab and you might want to know if you would like to join theirs). Also, it's okay to ask similar/same questions to multiple profs because each person might have their own opinions/perspective. I wouldn't have too many questions and be smart about which questions to ask to whom (e.g. don't ask profs about living on the stipend, ask the students etc.)

Some good questions to ask, beyond the details of the research, are things about their advising style or how they run their lab, if you are interested in joining it. Ask about things like how often they meet with students in the lab, how often they hold group meetings, whether they send students to conferences / how often, etc. You can also ask things like, "what do you expect from your graduate students", or "what is one important piece of advice you would give to new students joining this department?"  or things in this vein.