Job after a MA in Linguistics ?

sprklinthe

Hey guys,

As the prospects of getting a PhD get slimmer everyday, I have to think about what is next for me. Right now I'm kind of stuck with this feeling of failures after phd rejections and it is really hard for me to think. Are there any interesting job that would hire someone with a masters in linguistics ? I'm not officially registered in computational but that is where my research is in so I can use some programs and manipulate data, that seem like the only sort of skill I got out of my degree...

Thanks

Absolutely there are!  I've been a manager for 10+ years (going back for a PhD is a switch for me), and I've hired people from all sorts of walks of life - anything from HS dropout to MA/MS.  No PhDs yet.  Do you have a resume or LinkedIn yet?  I'm happy to help.  If nothing else, even if you do get accepted to a PhD program, it's good to have a resume up-to-date.  After all, everyone has a price tag...if someone came and offered you six figures to leave your PhD program and go into the private sector, nobody would blame you for accepting!

For real, hit me up, I'm happy to look over your resume and offer suggestions.

If you're up for more training, speech language pathology is always in high demand. And while not all SLPs have training in linguistics, it's a distinct asset (and, personally, I'd want mine to have it).