Outside Funding

dasgut

Some schools don't admit students unless they can fund them, I don't know how this would affect their admissions, but schools which admit students without funding it would be a bonus, as you'll be giving them money instead of the normal other way around. It won't get you in somewhere that would never accept you, but for a student which they would normally take but can't afford this year, it would look great.

It can't hurt you, and it will very likely help, so I would make sure my schools knew about it if I had such theoretical funding.

It helps you if you're a marginal candidate and the university has funding issues. Otherwise it depends on the nature of the scholarship - Fulbright will help you get in, the Scholarship of Mum&Dad will not. The more competitive the better.

A couple of top universities have financial problems.. you really should have applied to UCX and UPenn ;)

sD.

Thanks for the input guys! It looks like I'm prolly gettin' shut out this season. As such I'm gearing up for round 2 next yr. I have a couple big "in's" for a competitive government research scholarship. I didn't apply for it this year as there's a research commitment after completion of the degree. However, if this season continues on its path, I'm just gonna jump on the scholarship next season. Hopefully that coupled with a much higher GRE subject score will change things for next yr :) Best of luck y'alls and hope this admit season is treatin' you well!

I would respectfully disagree with that decision. Don't forget that your profile is good, you just made a mess of your subject test and applied to very competitive universities. Talk to potential advisors at less reputable schools, there's always a chance of finding a professor who is on the hunt for a good student.

Getting a scholarship is not easy, and usually these are tied to specific projects, so you're limited in your choice of schools. And even with the scholarship and very good subject test scores, you'll still have an uphill struggle against all those Fulbright scholars who have won several IMO medals. Be realistic. It might make a (huge?) different whether you attend Harvard or *random state uni*, but whether it's Top 50 or Top 100 doesn't really matter *that* much.

And if you're really awesome, you can always go to another uni and then apply again to Princeton & Co.

sD.

Edited by someDay