will they see my potential???

lily_

Here is my story.

I went to community college for 2 years, earned a 3.3, and went onto a very good state school. I floundered a bit, spent 2 semesters on academic probation and then found my calling: anthropology. I worked my tail off my senior year, and took on anthropology as a second major. Unfortunately, my last semester I overloaded my schedule and took 7 courses, 4 of which were at the graduate level. After midterms, I had 6 A's and a B!!! Then, my grandmother passed away and I had to miss over 2 weeks of class because my mother completely emotionally collapsed. Needless to say, I pulled out with 3 a's (2 of which in the grad level classes), 3 b's and a C. My GPA at graduation was a 2.68.

My GRE's are decent: 660 quantative, 640 verbal with a solid 6.0 in the analytical writing.

I knew that wanting to pursue graduate school in anthropology was unlikely with my poor GPA. I have spent the last three summers volunteering on projects that are close to what I want to specialize in. One project I was promoted to a supervisory position, and the professor in charge is a well-known, respected name in the field, who wrote me an excellent letter of recommendation.

I also took a year as a non-matriculated student at the University of Chicago. I earned a 3.8 and was able to add an extensive 30+ page research project to my application package. I have two letter writers from my undergraduate days who REALLY believe in me, the aforementioned respected name in the field, and another PhD who worked on the project and has a tenure track position at a good school.

I also visited all of the schools I am applying to beforehand, got acquainted with the faculty and potential advisers.

In my SOP I mentioned my time as an undergraduate briefly, and stated that I had spent the past 4 years working to improve upon my record with the goal of getting into graduate school.

So, I got my first rejection letter and am now on the edge of my seat waiting to hear back from the other. According to this forum, someone applying to the same department in the same sub-field has been notified that they are wait-listed. Does that mean that I'm rejected? Do I have a chance of getting in anywhere with that GPA, even though I've worked hard to show that I am capable of performing at the graduate level?

Edited by lily_