Cornell CIPA

sneakyred

Hi all,

I've just heard back from CIPA and received a generous fellowship offer (like others on this board have previously reported). I've yet to hear back from other schools, but I'd love to hear from those that received offers last year about how you decided where to eventually go. I doubt many schools (besides the elusive WWS) would come close to CIPA's offer, so how did you eventually choose? Did you turn down CIPA in the end because of location, newness of the program, etc., or follow the money to CIPA? Either way, do you have any regrets?

I only have good impressions about CIPA so far (besides perhaps the location). I'm drawn to the flexibility it offers in coursework and the opportunity to tailor my degree by taking courses from other departments and schools.

Thanks in advance for your input!

I went to Cornell for undergrad, I work at Cornell now, and I am going to begin the CIPA program in the fall. I love Ithaca, but that is because it suits my personality well. I know many people who strongly dislike this place because they prefer big cities and Ithaca is definitely a small town community. Read more about Ithaca on the forums with your personal preference in mind.

CIPA practically did not exist when I was an undergrad. In a few short years, Cornell is attempting to turn CIPA from a name on paper into a top-notch program. In order to do so, they are giving generous fellowships to top-notch students to attract talent but this will not last that much longer. CIPA will look much more impressive on your resume a few years from now when it has really established itself. The flexibility of the program is great, but it comes with a downside. Classes are hit or miss. I have taken some most excellent graduate courses, but I have also take a few that are an utter waste of time. The program is really what you make of it. If you take challenging courses, you will get a good education. If you take the easy classes that you can skirt by on, then you will learn little.

I went to Cornell for undergrad, I work at Cornell now, and I am going to begin the CIPA program in the fall. I love Ithaca, but that is because it suits my personality well. I know many people who strongly dislike this place because they prefer big cities and Ithaca is definitely a small town community. Read more about Ithaca on the forums with your personal preference in mind.

CIPA practically did not exist when I was an undergrad. In a few short years, Cornell is attempting to turn CIPA from a name on paper into a top-notch program. In order to do so, they are giving generous fellowships to top-notch students to attract talent but this will not last that much longer. CIPA will look much more impressive on your resume a few years from now when it has really established itself. The flexibility of the program is great, but it comes with a downside. Classes are hit or miss. I have taken some most excellent graduate courses, but I have also take a few that are an utter waste of time. The program is really what you make of it. If you take challenging courses, you will get a good education. If you take the easy classes that you can skirt by on, then you will learn little.

I'm always up for challenging classes, and particularly excited for the chance to take classes from the Econ school. How hard is it to actually work this in? I have an Econ undergrad background, so I want to boost my quant skills. I'm curious, were any of the required classes duds?

Also, would any of the lurkers like to weigh in as well? ;)