Email Invitation from Professor

Mozzarella

Question

I sent email "feelers" to several universities asking about PhD assistantship positions in Food Science (chemistry) for the upcoming Fall Semester and I just received an email from a professor asking if I would be interested in visiting the campus to meet and visit the lab.  Is this typical to get an "unofficial" invitation like this?  He mentioned he was just starting to review applications so it struck me as odd. If I am accepted, doesn't the University pay for my visit?  The University is quite far away (7 hours by car); I am willing to travel and visit to improve my chances of getting accepted, but I also don't want to get suckered into paying for a visit on my own dime when the university typically pays.  

2 answers to this question

First off, congratulations on a positive response! It's always good when connections are made.

It really depends on the universities. Some universities pay upfront for visits; some reimburse; others do neither and all expenses for visiting are your responsibility. Additionally, program policies might differ within the same university; sometimes it is a case-by-case- basis.

@Warelin's response pretty much sums up what I know about campus visits and how those expenses are covered/not covered sometimes.

I'd also like to add that I don't think it is inappropriate to ask if the department you are applying to has any funds to help reimburse you for the cost of your visit. My partner did that for his department at a school and while they can't pay for upfront costs they can reimburse him up to a certain amount for the trip.